Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got robbed.. what would you do?

Hey all. Kind of in shock of what just happened

I work at a Sprint store. Tonight, 5 minutes til close, two big black men in hoodies and masks came in with guns and told us to get on the floor. They took some money from the safe and pretty much all the iphones. They had us help them with everything. One guy had a voice disguiser, which I thought was a little over the top. Then they bound our hands with zip ties and shut us in the office before leaving. I called the cops and the lady assured me she would stay on the phone until the cops arrived. What fucking good is that gonna do.

I wanted to kind of vent and see if anyone had stories to share. The whole thing was surreal; somehow I knew everything would be okay, but there was no way in hell I was going to trust that feeling. I had a moment where I realized I wasn't okay with my life so far and there were things I still wanted to experience. I'm 27. However in the aftermath I'm left feeling super vulnerable and on the hunt for a firearm. I'm thinking a revolver (but don't want this to turn into a gun thread).

I'm torn between burying the emotions and dealing with them. But I'm afraid if I deal with them then this will become a moment that defines who I am. I don't want to be hating on black people for the rest of my life.

Anyone have any insight? I know it's a car forum but I like you guys and value your opinions.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

This is the reason I conceal carry. Id take a few days to a week off work, to sorta mellow out, have had 2 friends get robbed at gas stations. I wouldn't be worried that your going to hate blacks the rest of your life. I had someone pull a knife on me at the beach during a vacation. I then also had my gun, so i just had to start reaching for it, and the guy tossed the knife and left.

Sometimes regardless of job policies, you have to protect yourself, because your life isn't worth some phones

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

IMO, letting them just take everything was the easiest route. They got what they wanted and left. This is considering you were not armed. I would also not worry you are going to hate blacks, just happens that guys from that race robbed you. And IMO that type of crime, while brazen is differnt than a home invasion because its a business. They diidnt take anything personal from you, and left you with your car, etc, so that is good. Seems like it was about getting quick cash easy. I would also say that if yo ufind its taking over a lot of your thoughts, go see someone to help you get it sorted out for a bit.

Comment

Honestly, not much you could have done even if carrying.

Even when carrying, you need to have the upper hand to deploy it. If someone already had a gun leveled on you from the get go, your best option is to comply and hope they divert their attention. Getting into a firefight is not something I want to do.

Once you do get a weapon though, keep in mind that without practice and the muscle memory that comes with it, it's useless. Spend money on ammo, go shoot. When you are at home watching TV, practice drawing. You want to be able to draw and bring the weapon on target without any thought involved.

Glad to hear you are OK and things didn't go worse.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

damn. i know this advice doesn't sound very manly, but when relatively traumatic things like this happen, the company will pay for a few counseling sessions. it would be a good idea for you to go talk to someone and get your feelings out. especially now while its still raw. people like that are trained with insights that will help put your mind at ease. you will probably sleep better at night.

several years ago, one of my pilot buddies was flying a prop airplane and they pulled into little rock arkansas. one of the rampers walked into his running propeller and got chewed to pieces. he was messed up for about a month or two until he finally went to speak with someone. two or three sessions did him a world of good.

having a gun to give you peace of mind is all good to a point. however, in real life we are not dirty harry. if there was more than one of them, it would probably not be very smart to pull it out and start blasting away. everyone got out of this situation with no loss of life and apparently no one got hurt. this is the best possible outcome in a situation like that. if you started shooting and one of your coworkers got killed or injured, you would have to live with that for the rest of your life.
          Last edited by flyboyx; 09-28-2016, 07:56 AM.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

First point: Deal with your emotions. Do not bury that shit. Face them and be liberated. Talk with people. Running from it may be better in the short run, but it won't help you any in the long run.

Second point: Hallelujah to Arizona. It is very very easy to conceal carry here. Sometimes that makes me uncomfortable as that means that any Joe can carry a handgun around, but most of the time I feel neutral about it. I conceal or open carry every time I leave my house. I will preface this advice with the fact that I received countless extra hours and probably an extra 100k in training and practice shooting with both rifles and handguns when I was an active duty US Marine. Therefore the weapon is basically an extension of myself. I make time to head out to the desert and practice a variety of techniques on a regular basis.

I'll second that you need to practice (should you decide to arm yourself) as often as possible, including while watching TV.

But you also need to fire the damn thing while you practice. Practice firing it at things that are very human like. I am convinced that almost no one, especially the people on this forum, fully understands the difference between pulling a gun out of a holster and squeezing the trigger on an empty chamber and pulling a loaded gun and shooting it at a human being. Your survival instinct will kick in, hopefully, but I have witnessed fully trained 'hardcore' men freeze in the moment. You do not want this to be you.

Also understand that whilst carrying a gun you have a different set of responsibilities. A rule I live by is that if I have to draw a weapon on someone, that person will be getting shot. There is no presentation of my firearm without repercussions for whoever is on the other end. This has kept me (thankfully I have only had a couple of aggressive enough situations to even contemplate the firearm as a civilian) from acting foolish with the weapon.

If its allowed where you are (it is where I live) I would recommend open carrying in a level 2+ holster. I have avoided one situation outside of a dark Wal-Mart late one night with a couple of guys simply because my firearm was exposed on my hip. In my opinion its better to avoid the situation entirely because said bad guy sees that you have a gun, rather than said bad guy approaching you and the situation potentially escalating to a level that requires a greater degree of force.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

OP should move to Canaduh
              Most exciting thing that happened in my area in the past week was a Skunk was spotted in my neighborhood. Before that there was a few Raccoons.

Oh and there's no black ppl. I'm the only one in my neighborhood.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                First point: Deal with your emotions. Do not bury that shit. Face them and be liberated. Talk with people. Running from it may be better in the short run, but it won't help you any in the long run.

Second point: Hallelujah to Arizona. It is very very easy to conceal carry here. Sometimes that makes me uncomfortable as that means that any Joe can carry a handgun around, but most of the time I feel neutral about it. I conceal or open carry every time I leave my house. I will preface this advice with the fact that I received countless extra hours and probably an extra 100k in training and practice shooting with both rifles and handguns when I was an active duty US Marine. Therefore the weapon is basically an extension of myself. I make time to head out to the desert and practice a variety of techniques on a regular basis.

I'll second that you need to practice (should you decide to arm yourself) as often as possible, including while watching TV.

But you also need to fire the damn thing while you practice. Practice firing it at things that are very human like. I am convinced that almost no one, especially the people on this forum, fully understands the difference between pulling a gun out of a holster and squeezing the trigger on an empty chamber and pulling a loaded gun and shooting it at a human being. Your survival instinct will kick in, hopefully, but I have witnessed fully trained 'hardcore' men freeze in the moment. You do not want this to be you.

Also understand that whilst carrying a gun you have a different set of responsibilities. A rule I live by is that if I have to draw a weapon on someone, that person will be getting shot. There is no presentation of my firearm without repercussions for whoever is on the other end. This has kept me (thankfully I have only had a couple of aggressive enough situations to even contemplate the firearm as a civilian) from acting foolish with the weapon.

If its allowed where you are (it is where I live) I would recommend open carrying in a level 2+ holster. I have avoided one situation outside of a dark Wal-Mart late one night with a couple of guys simply because my firearm was exposed on my hip. In my opinion its better to avoid the situation entirely because said bad guy sees that you have a gun, rather than said bad guy approaching you and the situation potentially escalating to a level that requires a greater degree of force.
                +1. I agree that if you draw a weapon (unless you're law enforcement), you better use it.
                1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

+2. My Father was military, and he engrained many of his teachings into us kiddos from an early age.

If I'm pointing my weapon at something, it's because I intend to kill it.

Also, always aim center mass. People who say "shoot for the knee" have no clue what they are talking about.
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Get some help and talk to someone about it. The company should cover those costs. A gun wont help much especially because in CA you are going to have a really hard time getting a CWP.

I worked in banking for over 10 years and have been robbed a few times and while traumatic, nobody got hurt and everyone who did it got caught. And they were all white people FYI so robbery isnt really exclusive to black people
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You're still alive. Sprint was robbed. Not you (at least you don't mention your wallet/phone getting taken.)

The worst thing you could have done is pull a gun and get shot over nothing that matters in your life. Pull a gun in your house to defend your family? YES. Pull a gun to defend a Sprint store and merchandise that's insured and not yours? NO. You're not shooting 2 experienced robbers without getting shot yourself. The last one won't leave you alive. It's not worth it. I get it, you're shook up. But don't throw your life away for Big Business' merchandise. You're not a hired gun. The last thing these robbers want to do is commit a murder, because then the police are going to be really after them. They just want cash/merchandise and to get away. Clean, quick, simple. Don't make it complicated. Hopefully the police can track down the selling of phones and catch them. But that's not your job. Keep your head down, don't be a hero over some phones, and stay alive.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

^ as I was reading the thread I was formulating a reply with the exact same sentiments. And I do carry concealed. I would not have drawn my weapon in the situation as it was described.
                        '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                        '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          You're still alive. Sprint was robbed. Not you (at least you don't mention your wallet/phone getting taken.)

The worst thing you could have done is pull a gun and get shot over nothing that matters in your life. Pull a gun in your house to defend your family? YES. Pull a gun to defend a Sprint store and merchandise that's insured and not yours? NO. You're not shooting 2 experienced robbers without getting shot yourself. The last one won't leave you alive. It's not worth it. I get it, you're shook up. But don't throw your life away for Big Business' merchandise. You're not a hired gun. The last thing these robbers want to do is commit a murder, because then the police are going to be really after them. They just want cash/merchandise and to get away. Clean, quick, simple. Don't make it complicated. Hopefully the police can track down the selling of phones and catch them. But that's not your job. Keep your head down, don't be a hero over some phones, and stay alive.
                          Originally posted by kway View Post
                          ^ as I was reading the thread I was formulating a reply with the exact same sentiments. And I do carry concealed. I would not have drawn my weapon in the situation as it was described.
                          Ha, 3rd on this. Very similar to my thoughts.
                          E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Thanks guys. This is another reason to leave the company. They offered the number of a psych and I may go ahead and call him up.

It's really not about defending the store. I couldn't care less about some phones. It's about defending myself. It's easy to talk about it after the fact and say no one got hurt so I did what I was supposed to do. But in that moment you don't know what is going to happen.

It's kind of funny because I had just finished a training seminar about how I'm not allow to carry in the store. Seems obvious, until something like this happens.

And no, I don't hate black people. My point was that I don't want to develop an irrational fear. So we're good Stanley :up:

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I am glad your ok physically but this kinda thing will take a toll on your emotionally if you let it, it is a defining moment in your life like it or not. Its how YOU let it define your life that will matter and thats totally up too you to decide which way it goes.

I am glad everything truned out ok for you and, YES you should work though your feelings, like Flyboy suggested in the more formal setting or just with your friends and family dont bury them that leads nowhere good. Your not going end up hating black people over this, you might hate those 2 particular people that happen to be black, not for their race but for their actions which would be appropriate.

As a person that carries a weapon frequently, in your situation as describe I would not have been reaching for mine in my back pocket. Just for the reasons that have been laid out already, you didnt have an chance to have the upper hand, they wanted stuff, so its safer to give them that then it is to try and play hero. A weapon is to defend life not stuff, and while you may have felt your life was in danger, (you would have been justified) in a case like you just had its better to play along until they leave. If they started hurting you or others then its time to take that chance. Getting a weapon is a responsibility and carrying it is an even bigger one and not to be taken lightly.
                              Last edited by mrsleeve; 09-28-2016, 01:51 PM.
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X