Holset H1C with 9cm housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever gone this route? I have a freshly rebuilt Holset H1C with a 18.5 cm exhaust housing.

I just came across Tim's Turbo's who sells a 9cm exhaust housing that will bolt up directly to my H1C. I pulled the trigger as I got a pretty good deal on it but haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it here, mainly stick to the 12cm. I'll be starting at 8.7 psi and hopefully maxing out at 12-14 psi. Anyone see any issues with this setup? Thinking it should spool pretty quick?

Stock M20B25 with ARP's and new headgasket.

Thanks!

Andrew
    2016 F-150
    1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

No one posting up with opinions, I'll just talk to myself on this topic and install and run it then post back with results on the outside chance that anyone should care.
    2016 F-150

Comment

Hello Andrew,

On a mild build this could be an excellent choice. Spool up should be very nice, much better than the 12cm. As far as knowing the potential HP you would make at that PSI, it will be determined by the size of compressor wheel that the H1C has. There are many different compressor wheel options that were used on the H1C turbos with inducers sizes from 50mm to over 60mm. This equates to a lot of different flow options. Then you throw in the different blade configurations and styles, and it can get overwhelming. Your combination is very similar to the later Dodge Cummins turbos, most of the 2002 and up trucks used a 9cm housing from the factory with a 7 blade 60mm compressor wheel. This was originally what I was going to use on my application. Just as a side note, most of these wheels would work very well on the 2.5L, so I would not spend a lot of time trying to figure it out on paper. Get it going and see how it goes. Keep us posted on how it turns out. What ECU are you running? Stock chipped or aftermarket? Hope it all goes well.

Gerry

Comment

Thank you Gerry!

That is the plan, going to toss it on and post up the results. I have just ordered the DIYAutoTune PNP Standalone unit for my ECU needs.
        2016 F-150

Comment

Man, this forum really died, aye? You'd think with how popular the E30tech turbo section was that they would have migrated here.

Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilomph View Post
            Man, this forum really died, aye? You'd think with how popular the E30tech turbo section was that they would have migrated here.

Shame.
            Yes, it really did which is huge shame... so many super knowledgable people once were cruising these forums daily to assist. Too bad.
            2016 F-150

Comment

I would honestly run the 12cm or the BEP .70AR if you think you'll ever want to up the boost.

Also kind of iffy on Tim's Turbos... I won a 10/12cm housing from a contest on his facebook page... He didn't realize I was in canada, so he asked for extra shipping. I sent him like $15 in shipping and then he never replied again
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Hello all,

A 9cm2 housing equates to a .65 A/R ratio, a .70 A/R converted to CM2 would be (roughly) a 9.5 CM2. My feeling is that no place other than a dyno would you notice the difference of 0.05 A/R ratio on the same turbo. So, if/when you did get your new housing that you ordered, again it would be a good choice for the street and depending on the compressor wheel that you have you should be able to turn it up as well. Currently I have a .63 A/R Garrett turbine housing on my 2.7 stroker running 12 psi at 3300rpm I have full boost. My comressor wheel is a custom Billet T04E 50 trim (you probably have a larger wheel than I do), at the 12 psi I am getting just over 300whp. Just giving you that info for a comparison once you get everything going. Hope this helps. Thanks,

Dgerry

Comment

Hey, thank you, that's great info from both of you.

This was actually purchased off another guy in Canada who originally purchased it from Tim's Turbo's so I never actually dealt with Tim's Turbo's. This is actually a .63 A/R housing so I guess that equates to something like a 8.5 cm - 9 cm sized housing. I got it for $120 and it's unused so for the price, I don't really think it can be beat in comparison to what I currently have on there - 18.5 cm.

I'll hopefully have the car running and driving within a month or so, will be 8.7psi to get it to the tuner then hopefully can turn it up to 12-14 psi if everything is running ok and once on the dyno... 300whp would be perfect for me.
                  Last edited by E30-Ellerman; 03-29-2017, 03:14 AM.
                  2016 F-150

Comment

Received the .63 A/R housing yesterday (Which makes it approximately a 8.5cm2 - 9cm2 housing)

Bolted right up to my Holset H1C with no issues. It is so much smaller than the stock 18.5cm2 housing, can't wait to run it.

Car is still about a month away from running, maybe a bit less if I get lucky, will continue to post up results and progress regarding this housing as it doesn't appear it's been talked about before.

For anyone new coming in - It's a Tim's Turbo's .63 AR exhaust housing that is made for the Holset HX35 and H1C.
                    2016 F-150

Comment

This is the H1C with the 9cm housing all mounted.

This is the size comparison! 18.5 is massive!!! This is actually a 8.5-9.0cm housing (.63ar). My manifold is made for a single scroll turbo and this new housing is also single scroll as compared to the twin scroll factory Holset - bit of an added bonus I wasn't aware of when getting this new housing.

2016 F-150

Comment

Good info. Was looking for something like this a few years ago researching this topic. I wanted to go smaller for my m50 turbo project and settled for a 12mm compressor housing. Seems to work alright for now, simple enough driving around town and opens up good enough for me when throttle down. The larger 18mm that came on my h1c probably would have lagged more I imagine. Currently running 15psi 8 1/5 to 1 comp at about 340ish last Dyno. Still building though! :)
                        sigpic

Comment

That sounds awesome, great power, would love to be around there! I'm hoping to keep it around 12-14 psi, just about ready to go get dyno tuned in the next week or two. Might have to upgrade my fuel pump before as on idle tests, it's sitting a bit lower than expected (around 20 psi on fuel pressure gauge).

Will update as I go, just got it running on megasquirt, dies once it gets hot so tuner is thinking some tweaking to the ICV will be needed.
                          Last edited by E30-Ellerman; 04-22-2017, 08:49 PM.
                          2016 F-150

Comment

I have a H1C for sale if anyone is interested in picking one up cheap
                            - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                            Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Update with the car running and driving now.

The H1C with the 9cm housing is nice. I would prefer it spool up a bit quicker but once it hits it hits hard and pulls to redline without issues. I have 2.93 LSD gears so I get a lot of boost time in a specific gear because they're long, would just prefer it comes on a bit sooner. It is nice being able to drive basically all day without being in boost though.

I bought a knock off wastegate, changed the spring then checked the valve seating on it. Spring is a Tial 8 psi spring that I had bought. For some reason though, it's running around 10-11 psi which is closer to where I wanted but didn't expect right away. Still running stock plugs and they seem to be fouling or mis-firing at 11psi when the revs get up there so I'm changing to new, colder plugs in hopes that will cure the mis-fire.

Fuel is the stock dual pump set up and I haven't had any fuel starvation issues whatsoever. In fact, it was running quite rich in boost so I've had to lean it out a bit on the megasquirt. I have a new fuel pump though so i'll probably just replace it anyways.
                              2016 F-150

Comment

Working...
                              X