R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Off Topic Lounge > Politics and Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
Todd Black 88
No R3VLimiter
 
Todd Black 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 3,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
I understand what you said cale: A native Canadian (haha) getting called an Indian in Canada is fighting words.

Mislabeled: Such a strange concept really. Its like a tree that we call a tree but the tree doesn't want to be called a tree but that's what we call it and have forever.

Does it change who they are because they were mistaken for red-dot Indians and the name stuck? Are we confusing who the hell they are? Fuck no.
Up here it changes from year to year what is acceptable to call them. When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, they were Indians. Then they became natives, and calling the Indians in the public eye was a no no. Then they became aboriginal people, and calling them natives was a no no. Now, I think they want to be called natives again, I really can't keep track.

I have a really good friend who calls himself an Indian......I just call him Alex.



Edit: I almost forgot. At one point they wanted to be called indigenous people. I call them by their name. It offends nobody. Only people who are looking to be offended care.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyep3 View Post
I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather
2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
2010 F650gs twin

Last edited by Todd Black 88; 04-26-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Todd Black 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #17
cale
E30 Mastermind
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,979
Except using your own terms, they never have nor ever will be trees yet you continue calling them trees. It's like you meet someone for the first time, call them Mark when their name is Bob and you keep calling them Mark because it's what you've always done.

This is most certainly a tangent to the subject at hand.
cale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #18
Todd Black 88
No R3VLimiter
 
Todd Black 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 3,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale View Post
Except using your own terms, they never have nor ever will be trees yet you continue calling them trees. It's like you meet someone for the first time, call them Mark when their name is Bob and you keep calling them Mark because it's what you've always done.

This is most certainly a tangent to the subject at hand.
I have a neighbour like that. I call her bitch, always have, but surprisingly that's not her actual name. Who knew?


Back on topic please.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyep3 View Post
I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather
2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
2010 F650gs twin
Todd Black 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
marshallnoise
R3VLimited
 
marshallnoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale View Post
Except using your own terms, they never have nor ever will be trees yet you continue calling them trees. It's like you meet someone for the first time, call them Mark when their name is Bob and you keep calling them Mark because it's what you've always done.
See post above. And: http://mentalfloss.com/article/60587...sleading-names

Calling them the wrong name doesn't change who they are and it isn't offensive. Its just not.
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build
marshallnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #20
decay
R3V Elite
 
decay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: yay area, ca
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
What I advocated was making Indians (just to piss you off) full citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonder View Post
Just think about it a bit more open-minded, you take every instance to attack Marshall rather than discuss the question with any sense of level-headedness.
so he admits openly that he's trolling me- "just to piss you off"- but i get called out for not being level-headed? fuck you.
__________________
Baur 323i
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #21
marshallnoise
R3VLimited
 
marshallnoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
so he admits openly that he's trolling me- "just to piss you off"- but i get called out for not being level-headed? fuck you.
You miss the point. Intentionally I might add.
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build
marshallnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #22
decay
R3V Elite
 
decay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: yay area, ca
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
You miss the point. Intentionally I might add.
i actually haven't, i just still disagree that we should strip away the last of the sovereignty we promised these people. but i guess i place a little more importance on rule of law and honoring treaties than you do, being a constitutionalist rather than an alt-rightist and all.

i'm not claiming to be one of them, but i have visited them, and sat and listened, more recently than you have (if you ever have).

also, you don't get to define what someone else is allowed to find offensive. but by all means- head up to canada and greet the first inuit you meet with "hey, what's up eskimo?" and see what happens.
__________________
Baur 323i
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #23
mrsleeve
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title
 
mrsleeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW MT
Posts: 15,382
I shared a truck with a 3/4 Cherokee for the last 6 months every all day he thinks your views are somewhat misinformed, since you have only really 'visited" with the one "extremist" view point. Hes not the only one with a lot of native heritage to think this way. Really there is way more to this issue than you have any clue about based on a couple short "visits" to a fucking protest camp (view point echo chamber much???) for god sakes, you should really start being more careful in the saddle up there on that lofty equine your perched atop you might lose your mount.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville


The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #24
decay
R3V Elite
 
decay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: yay area, ca
Posts: 4,586
i don't mind being called an extremist.

and to your point, i'm sure there are differing views within the native community as well.

and i'm kind of not surprised that someone else involved in your line of work would share your viewpoint.
__________________
Baur 323i
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #25
mbonder
E30 Mastermind
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: whippany, NJ
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
so he admits openly that he's trolling me- "just to piss you off"- but i get called out for not being level-headed? fuck you.
I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, all I'm saying is that you have a choice when you respond. You can attack someone (usually Marshall, but in this case, me), which ultimately doesn't add anything to the discussion, or you can actually put in your two cents about the topic at hand.

Despite the fact that Marshall said (just to piss you off), he still added to the discussion, you just seem to be interested in name calling or insulting people.

I wouldn't have minded the "fuck you" if you had at least backed it up with a position on the discussion, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it, but say something relevant next time following your insult, at least then it would be worth the read.
mbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #26
decay
R3V Elite
 
decay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: yay area, ca
Posts: 4,586
i think you might have missed my last two posts?
__________________
Baur 323i
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #27
marshallnoise
R3VLimited
 
marshallnoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 2,860
Like the Native American vs Indian twrminology debate, you seem to think that they actually have sovereignty when they in fact, don't. This is the whole purpose of the video to show how they are anything but free.

So you defending the status quo in the name of their "sovereignty," you have as hollow of an argument as you do about people who call Native Americans, Indians.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build
marshallnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #28
mrsleeve
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title
 
mrsleeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW MT
Posts: 15,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
i don't mind being called an extremist.

and to your point, i'm sure there are differing views within the native community as well.

and i'm kind of not surprised that someone else involved in your line of work would share your viewpoint.
you would be surprised at the varied viewpoints with in my industry, we have all types, to most of us its a pay check that supports the family, and the politics involved are aggravating at best
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville


The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
mbonder
E30 Mastermind
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: whippany, NJ
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
i think you might have missed my last two posts?
I was commenting up to your post insulting me. After that you definitely have contributed to the discussion.
mbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #30
kickinindian
R3VLimited
 
kickinindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakhurst, CA
Posts: 2,078
im a native american, who works in a native american casino, and rocks long hair, and has multiple old broken cars around my home.

In general (for Cali anyways) Natives is an ok term. in a professional, proper terminology Native Americans is proper.

a big thing that a lot of non-natives dont realize is that everyone pronounces indians as [ In-dins ] not [ in-di-ans ] so probably why some natives have been upset with that.

also i swear if i hear another white devil say their grandma was a cherokee princess or they are 1/4 cherokee imma fucking lose it so just stop trying to be cool and appropriate our culture like that. you guys have cool culture too vikings and celts are cool too...
kickinindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC