The US doomed to be dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    I'll make sure to tell them that the next time I order coffee.
    Lawl, Savage!
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Seriously? A Liberal Arts major that is a project manager for what? Sourcing Free Trade All Organic, Non-GMO coffee beans for their artisan/local art coffee shop?

I actually work for one of the companies mentioned under the English part, and I have a Journalism degree.

But I'm not writing the company newsletters or a part of HR holding "deep dive" sessions to explain how healthcare deductibles work, making $40/yr working in a large metro area with 5 roommates to be able to afford bills.

I work along side real Project Managers, Software Developers, Web Devs, Design, etc. It took me nearly a decade of experience to get to work there.

Also note, that he cut out the last paragraph of the article which states:

"And as long as the liberal arts student are willing to pick up some extra technical skills and can answer the question “What are you going to do with that?” with a strategy instead of a shrug, they should be encouraged to press on with confidence that they will be truly valuable to the labor market."

I've worked in Insurance, Defense, Aerospace, Manufacturing, and Software.

If you're just walking in with your pre-Civil War Art History degree (without the huge caveat the author puts at the end of the article) the only thing you are going to be doing at any of those companies is

"How can I direct your call?"
      "How many copies of this would you like?"
      "Yes, all the refreshments are in the conference room for the lunch meeting?.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I cut out a few paragraphs from the beginning, too. I don't have very much faith in your attention span based on past interactions.

Journalism is a liberal arts degree. It sounds like you're just spouting off bullshit about some college student working part time in a coffee shop.

Asking oneself, "what am I going to do with my degree" is not a "huge" caveat for most people. I feel sorry for you if you find that kind of introspection onerous.

It's clear you don't even understand what you're bitching about.
        Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

You missed Z31's point. He said it took him over a decade to get to where he is with the degree he has.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            You missed Z31's point. He said it took him over a decade to get to where he is with the degree he has.
            There wasn't much of a point in the nonsense he vomited up into that post. It's difficult to take his claims seriously with the atrocious lack of logical sequencing in his "points."

That said, some people are slower than others in their career trajectories. I'm not going to hold it against him.

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
              Some people are slower than others in their career trajectories. I'm not going to hold it against him.
              that's an amazingly condescending way to say you're not going to be condescending
              past:
              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:
              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

How well should I congratulate someone for taking a decade to get into what he characterized as a "real" job?

He's a journalism major who can barely string coherent sentences together shitting on other liberal arts degree holders. I couldn't care less about his contribution to the work force.

Comment

How well should I congratulate someone for taking a decade to get into what he characterized as a "real" job?
                  under what premise does he need your congratulations? get over yourself
                  Last edited by agent; 08-04-2017, 02:37 PM.
                  past:
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:

Comment

If you want to shit up the thread quit whining when someone puts you in your place.

Why are you whiteknighting for him anyway? Can't journalism majors handle their own scuffles?

Comment

Well, compare someone with a four year degree in Art History vs some one with an Electrical Engineering degree. The double E is going to get a great job right out of college, if they're willing to do so, and the Art History major will not find a job, in their field of study, as easily and one that pays well. Especially, when you have hoards of kids graduating with liberal arts degrees.

When I graduated, they were handing out as many tickets to graduating students as they wanted, because the amount of kids walking in our department was a fraction of that compared to the LA department, who were allowed a small number only.
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

If you want to shit up the thread quit whining when someone puts you in your place.

Why are you whiteknighting for him anyway? Can't journalism majors handle their own scuffles?

Comment

That's called a strawman, which you would have learned in philosophy class. So maybe that liberal arts major seems useless to you but you would have looked less ignorant had you taken a single semester of it.

The data are out there for you to read if you bothered to educate yourself on the topic you want to bitch about. The facts are that EE majors are being hired at much slower rates than those abominations of liberal arts degrees holders.

Comment

The facts are that EE majors are being hired at much slower rates than those abominations of liberal arts degrees holders.
                            i'm an engineer as well- making six figures and helping enterprise-level companies fix architecture and infrastructure issues daily. and i got here on nothing more than a high school diploma.

i'm sorry you had to burn so much time on those degrees you bragged about before editing.
                            Last edited by agent; 08-04-2017, 02:37 PM.
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

I'll tell my friends who work at Intel and Raytheon, in their mid twenties, that they fucked up.

Comment

I'm sure you're making six figures decay--all on your high school diploma.

I also make above the median wage, but it took a PhD/JD to do it. I don't consider it wasted time, though.

If you thought me writing you could look up my degrees if you were curious was me bragging that's odd you would come back with a post solely devoted to your lack of formal education and hundreds of thousands of dollars of income. You come across as a very sad and bitter human being.

MrBurgandy, as soon as you learn how to construct a valid position it'll make the conversation a bit more interesting. No one said your friends made a poor decision, but that doesn't mean that everyone who earns an EE will get their dream job straight out of college. Many of those positions are being filled by H1Bs and people on straight vocational tracks like that will be assed out in this nimble economy.

If you both only have a high school diploma and/or a 4 year degree, that would explain a lot of what's going sideways in this thread. There doesn't seem to be much else of value here. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X