Lifting 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifting 325ix

My ix is strictly a winter beater and I am thinking of lifting it a bit. I am planing on doing the rear with spring spacers and perhaps longer shocks but to raise the front I was wondering if anyone has tried rwd e30 strut mounts on top of the standard 325ix strut assemblies.
    1988 325 auto-x car
    1989 325ix winter car
    1991 525i summer car

That sounds like a really interesting idea. Please try it and let me now how it goes. But before you unbolt anything, hold up a rwd strut mount to your ix strut tower.

Another option is getting a delrin/poly/aluminum strut spacer. There are plenty all over ebay. Just find one that's the right diameter (6" OD, 5" ID) and drill your own holes. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/32mm-Front-C...FZCwDa&vxp=mtr (this one is too small, fyi.)
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I too have often wondered how much you could raise an iX before you got into suspension geometry issues.

There is a local guy running a Subaru that looks a bit lifted, taller but skinny tires, has a roof basket, some front running lights and has that rally/safari look.

My only opinion is that all of the flares on the iX is the opposite of the look of a rally car maybe? That and on mine I have a Racing Dynamics rear valance/roll pan that further makes the car more of a lower sportier kind of look.
      1986 E30 325E
      1989 E30 325iX
      2003 E54 X5.
      1993 Mercedes W124 300E
      1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
      2009 VW Touareg
      2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

I'm sure a few inches wouldn't be an issue.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

I think you would just space the rear subframe down - won't really change the geometry, but you'll have to watch the pinion angle and probably use an offset diff bushing. You would need longer springs and possibly shocks.

For the front you can just use a longer spring but I think you will run into issues with the camber curve - it will actually go positive and there's minimal options for adjustment with "stockish" suspension. You could use coilovers and adjustable camber plates but they are super harsh because there's no rubber bushings like stock.

I think you could probably raise it an inch without too much trouble but you'd have to rethink a lot of the suspension if you want to go further than that..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think I remember someone doing a lift with e36 convertible springs in the front and e30 vert springs in the back. Other things that will give you some height are taller tires and weight reduction. I was planning on a full body lift, space the front subframe/ strut mounts down, space the engine up to compensate and get the oil pan up out of the way, then space the rear subframe down as well. Since the iX doesnt have a double cardon the pinion angle needs to stay the same... the flanges should remain parallel even if the diff is lower.

Comment

I have heard someone uses this setup in rear Bmw e36 touring strengthened/how you say like "extension springs" we called like those, then front goes, Bmw e34 525 front springs. Ride is not too rough and driveability feelĀ“s like "gokart".

Never seen comparison pictures...
              https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
              https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Working...
              X