Head gasket job in my future. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket job in my future. Any tips?

I am resurrecting an e30 which had been sitting for a few years. Got it running well after a ton of work and fresh parts, and during the first drive longer than 5 minutes it blew the head gasket and started to heat up. I stopped it running before it got to the red, so it didn't overheat too bad.

I ordered the victor reinz head gasket kit and it should be here tomorrow.

Looks like I can probably just pull the head off with the intake still attached, but I wanted to see if there are any other tricks I might be able to employ to speed the process up. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Not recommendations for speed but Make sure head is flat and maybe use a superior quality gasket like Goetze or oe
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I will send the VR gasket set back and order OEM or goetze. I'll also order a set of OEM head bolts, and a set of exhaust studs as well. Hopefully the head will not be cracked or warped to badly for a resurface. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Have you ever done a head gasket on ant other engines?

It's no different to any other engine really. Last time I did it on my m20 I took the head off with the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold attached. Saved a bit of time.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Have you ever done a head gasket on ant other engines?

It's no different to any other engine really. Last time I did it on my m20 I took the head off with the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold attached. Saved a bit of time.
          That was what I had seen in a youtube vid of the job. I have done quite a few head gaskets, as well as several complete engine rebuilds. I am new to the BMWs so I wanted to bounce it off some folks who know the tricks of the trade :)

Really appreciate the info! thanks!

Comment

Don't use a victor reinz head gasket. It's just not worth it. I've had 3 leak. Never again will I use their m20 hg.

Disassemble the head and drop it off at a machine shop to get it surfaced. Shiny.

AWD > RWD

Comment

^^^ what he said.

The extra coin spent having the head checked and surfaced at a machine shop plus a new OEM BMW head gasket and new valve stem seals will pay off in spades. I've done three head gaskets in the past three years (two M20's and one Volvo white block) and wouldn't do it any other way.

The E30 collection:
              1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
              1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
              1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
              1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
              1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
              1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
              1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
              2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
              2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by faber View Post
                ...I stopped it running before it got to the red, so it didn't overheat too bad.
                If it was just before "it got to the red", there is a good chance to say goodbye to this head. Get it inspected for cracks.

BTW how do you know that it blew the head gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by apostate View Post
                  If it was just before "it got to the red", there is a good chance to say goodbye to this head. Get it inspected for cracks.

BTW how do you know that it blew the head gasket?
                  I know it blew the HG for a couple reasons. It started blowing white smoke while idling at a stop light. The car started running rough and blowing white smoke, and that smoke smelled like coolant. I pulled the plugs and two adjacent plugs were clean as a whistle where the others were a nice chocolate brown. That is indicative of either the gasket blowing out between two cylinders (likely) or a crack existing in the head in two separate cylinders (possible, but unlikely) or a block crack on two cylinders (also possible but very unlikely considering the condition of the engine.

Why would I kiss a head goodbye when it is likely it just needs a gasket and a resurface? the valves were not an issue. the motor was running fine. It had sat for years, and the previous owner likely heated it up as well.

I will yank the head and put a straight edge on it to see how out of whack it is. If it isn't more than 4 or 5 thou out I will resurface it myself. No need to pay a machine shop $150 and wait for weeks for something I can do in a couple hours with some brain power and hard work.

I can also pressure test it using a water tank, and air compressor and some plexigless. As long as it is true, and not cracked a little freshening up (lapping the valves, and putting in some new seals etc) should bring it back to good for quite a while. I have done my share of head gasket jobs and only a couple of them did I need a machine shop for. Flat is flat, regardless of how you get there :)

3m 90, some wd40 and a few levels of high quality sand paper on a good true surface and you can resurface a head in your garage in usually less than an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by faber View Post
                    I know it blew the HG for a couple reasons. It started blowing white smoke while idling at a stop light. The car started running rough and blowing white smoke, and that smoke smelled like coolant. I pulled the plugs and two adjacent plugs were clean as a whistle where the others were a nice chocolate brown. That is indicative of either the gasket blowing out between two cylinders (likely) or a crack existing in the head in two separate cylinders (possible, but unlikely) or a block crack on two cylinders (also possible but very unlikely considering the condition of the engine.

Why would I kiss a head goodbye when it is likely it just needs a gasket and a resurface? the valves were not an issue. the motor was running fine. It had sat for years, and the previous owner likely heated it up as well.

I will yank the head and put a straight edge on it to see how out of whack it is. If it isn't more than 4 or 5 thou out I will resurface it myself. No need to pay a machine shop $150 and wait for weeks for something I can do in a couple hours with some brain power and hard work.

I can also pressure test it using a water tank, and air compressor and some plexigless. As long as it is true, and not cracked a little freshening up (lapping the valves, and putting in some new seals etc) should bring it back to good for quite a while. I have done my share of head gasket jobs and only a couple of them did I need a machine shop for. Flat is flat, regardless of how you get there :)

3m 90, some wd40 and a few levels of high quality sand paper on a good true surface and you can resurface a head in your garage in usually less than an hour.
                    885 heads don't really do headgaskets. they crack heads.

Comment

Thats a generalised comment.

Everytime i remove a head off any engine it goes in a cardboard box and down to be checked. I would do that to yours. Few hundred bucks of insurance if everything is fine. And you dont waste a new gasket and 2 days of work if its stuffed. You sound like you know what you are doing. Why havent you got the head off yet?:p

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                        Thats a generalised comment.

Everytime i remove a head off any engine it goes in a cardboard box and down to be checked. I would do that to yours. Few hundred bucks of insurance if everything is fine. And you dont waste a new gasket and 2 days of work if its stuffed. You sound like you know what you are doing. Why havent you got the head off yet?:p
                        LOL! I haven't pulled the head yet because I need to take a little breather from this e30. I just freshened it up and resolved some pretty perplexing electrical issues, and after getting it running like a top, idling perfectly, and driving it blew the head gasket SMH...so I am taking a breather for my own sanity :)

It is just a first car/project for my daughter and I so we are not in a huge rush. The parts will be here in 10 days so I have plenty of time to yank the head and do a post mortem. Fingers crossed that it isn't gonna require much. WE shall see though.

Comment

Elring HG kits are good too, they're only a tiny bit more expensive than the Victor-Reinz kits (I think it was $10 more when I bought mine) but hold up much, much better.
                          Injectors - services, upgrades, rebuild kits and stock sets available! 14.5lb, 17lb, 19lb, 21lb, 28lb, 33lb, M20B27 injectors available https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413372

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer_Baron View Post
                            Elring HG kits are good too, they're only a tiny bit more expensive than the Victor-Reinz kits (I think it was $10 more when I bought mine) but hold up much, much better.
                            Good to know! I wondered about those when i saw them but after reading through several nightmare threads concerning the VR gaskets I opted for the Goetze since I couldn't find a thread where that brand failed anyone.

Comment

Well I pulled the head today and looks like the bunghole I purchased this vehicle from lied profusely when he told me it had never overheated. After yanking the head off of the car with the intake and exhaust manifolds still attached I flipped it over and inspected it. Looks like the previous owner was a hammer mechanic who obviously thought it was a great idea to fill the cooling system with a bunch of stop leak. The exhaust side cooling passages were completely plugged. To add a little insult to injury it looks like the crappie they used was corrosive to aluminum and ate through to the chambers.

Not even gonna bother trying to fix it. Looks like there are some heads available on ebay that are pressure tested and flat for under $400 so it looks like I'll be ordering one up. Hopefully it works out. Thinking of yanking the motor and freshening up the bottom end gaskets while I have the opportunity. Any advice on things to freshen up while I'm in there? I'll check for pay in rods and crank for sure.
                              Last edited by faber; 10-21-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X