Launch control in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launch control in MS

So, setting it up appears easy at first. Hold down clutch, 3500rpm brahbrabrah, let go of clutch. Awesome. Then I shift to second and I hit 3500rpm and it cuts it there too. What. That's not what I wanted. I don't see anything in the launch control table that allows you to select by gear, and I'm not sure how MS would even know that. Google and the help doc didn't prove useful. Perhaps I'm searching the wrong things.

I kept all the settings except RPM stock, I changed it to 3500 from 4000.
    Input PE0/JS7
    Launch Hard Limit 3500
    Soft Limit zone 200
    Soft Limit Retard 1.00
    Enable launch when TPS Above 10%
    Limiter Method Spark Cut

Ideas? What am I doing wrong?
    AWD > RWD

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    So, setting it up appears easy at first. Hold down clutch, 3500rpm brahbrabrah, let go of clutch. Awesome. Then I shift to second and I hit 3500rpm and it cuts it there too. What. That's not what I wanted. I don't see anything in the launch control table that allows you to select by gear, and I'm not sure how MS would even know that. Google and the help doc didn't prove useful. Perhaps I'm searching the wrong things.

I kept all the settings except RPM stock, I changed it to 3500 from 4000.
    Input PE0/JS7
    Launch Hard Limit 3500
    Soft Limit zone 200
    Soft Limit Retard 1.00
    Enable launch when TPS Above 10%
    Limiter Method Spark Cut

Ideas? What am I doing wrong?
    Did you get your megasquirt from DIYPNP or Keith 'Whodwho'?
    I had this issue too and resolved it by putting a switched fused 12v to the pin instead of grounding it.

DIYPNP has you ground the pin(and every tutorial on the web for MS). Keith's needs a 12v source instead.

My settings are:
    Launch Hard Limit 3400
    Soft Limit zone 100
    Soft Limit Retard -5
    Enable launch when TPS Above 20%
    Limiter Method Spark Cut

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Derek @ dederic motorsports, but I'll look into that. Thanks.

Edit: After your comment and a bit of research I'm starting to understand what's going on. When the clutch is up, the signal is still grounded. I think they may be set up the same. Where did you tap your switched power, the ignition?
      Last edited by Kershaw; 11-15-2016, 12:49 PM.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Cool. Are you using a momentary switch btw?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Edit: After your comment and a bit of research I'm starting to understand what's going on. When the clutch is up, the signal is still grounded. I think they may be set up the same. Where did you tap your switched power, the ignition?
          LC activates when the signal is grounded.

I forget what it's actually called, but I have a fused wire going to the terminal where the battery box is behind the passenger shock tower (not switched, but works I guess).

You can tap into the defroster, cig lighter, or window kill switch too - I'm using those for my gauges' lights I think.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            Cool. Are you using a momentary switch btw?
            That is what I assumed his issue is..
            20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Hoping one of you could be of help!

I've got a Dederic Motorsport ECU that I would like to activate LC on.

I believe I have correctly set things up in Tuner studio and burnt it to the ECU. Grounding Pin 40 does nothing when the preset RPM is reached.

I lost my installation instructions that came with the ECU, but saw the sticker on the side of the ECU:

http://fkh161.ca/BMW/DMSsmall.jpg

I have checked pin 40 and there is no voltage on it. If I understand things correctly, the ECM is looking to see a ground on that pin. It can only "see" a ground if there is a voltage on that pin. ie: ECU sees x-amount of volts and once grounded, it sees 0V / ground.

Here's a picture of the inside of the ECU... I can only see one "jumper" that can be moved.

http://fkh161.ca/BMW/Jumper.jpg

Thank you for any insight you guys might have!

Thomas

Comment

Thomas, as you pointed out, it sounds like you don't have a pull-up resistor on the input pin. You should have it high (5v) until it is grounded, or vice-versa, depending on your setup.

I don't know enough about the megasquirt alternatives, so... best of luck. :-?
                '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Sorry about the late reply... I assumed I would get an email notification to replies.

Not sure if I have to do something to the board, in order to get my 5v.

I'm tempted to move (the only) jumper I see on the board, but I don't want to take the chance of screwing something up.

Worst case... no launch control. =(

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got it working thanks to the info from Digitalwave:

Comment

I never came back to this. Thanks for doing the ground work. At some point in the future this will be very helpful to me, lol.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

It sounds like the stuff ak- was describing from the whodwho PNP is a different issue. If you have a Dederic, the stuff in the linked thread should solve any problems.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

Did you get your megasquirt from DIYPNP or Keith 'Whodwho'?
                          I had this issue too and resolved it by putting a switched fused 12v to the pin instead of grounding it.

DIYPNP has you ground the pin(and every tutorial on the web for MS). Keith's needs a 12v source instead.

My settings are:
                          Launch Hard Limit 3400
                          Soft Limit zone 100
                          Soft Limit Retard -5
                          Enable launch when TPS Above 20%
                          Limiter Method Spark Cut
                          Any info on this available???

Comment

Working...
                          X