Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older dual fuel pump setup, enough for M60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older dual fuel pump setup, enough for M60?

Assuming all are in good order, will the duel fuel pump setup on an early Eta provide enough volume and pressure for the M60B40?

The further I get into this the more I realize there is info on Early E30s, late E30's... and not a whole lot of anything on REALLY early E30's. Just figured out my build date is 12/84. Been trying to decipher those weird ass circle things below the vin tag, then found out REALOEM will spit out my production date from the vin. DOH!
    1985 325e -> M60 swap project
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

Yes, I used that setup for several years.

That said, those in tank pumps are garbage, and outrageously expensive. When they fail, your external pump will cavitate, and that will die too. I went through a few in tank pumps and 4 brand new Bosch external pumps, before I figured this all out.

I converted to the late 318is single pump setup, and haven't looked back since.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

It's not hard at all to swap an '86ish Corvette high pressure in-tank pump for the low pressure in-tank pump. My dad and I have done this on his E24 and now an E23.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        It's not hard at all to swap an '86ish Corvette high pressure in-tank pump for the low pressure in-tank pump. My dad and I have done this on his E24 and now an E23.

As long as you replace the 12mm fuel line above the tank, yes. That's not high pressure hose. And if you're going to replace it anyway, you might as well just swap in a 318is pump which uses normal 8mm fuel lines.

I bought a well-used 318is pump and swapped a Walbro into the bracket. Cheap, reliable, readily available, and more flow than any N/A m6x would ever need.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I wouldn't expect the 318 parts to fit the E24 or E23, but sounds like a solid solution for an E30. GM OE (ACDelco) pumps are virtually silent compared to Whinebros, though.

Don't you like having a 12mm fuel line, though? ;-)

And yes, we did use the correct pressure rating on the hose.

Comment

My TRE pump was extremely easy to install and extremely quiet.
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Working...
            X