CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a Thread to discuss Legal (california) engine swaps.

Please keep this thread on topic. Legal swaps are good; promoting clean air and legitimate 100% legal smog. Do not post about illegal modifications or ways one has circumvented smog check, thread is to promote 100% legitimate engine installation for California.

summary: the man is pretty prude.

engine+wiring+emissions+brain must stay as a package originally sold by OEM - in CA. if there is a CA specific model for that engine, the CA version is the only one legal for CA installation (into another chassis)

obd1 conversion on obd2 engine = illegal for cali smog.

any aftermarket modification without CARB (california air resource board) EQ number = Illegal.
    internal engine modification (cams, valves, pistons) = ILLEGAL unless the parts have a ARB executive order
    ************************************************** ***********************************************

Engine Change Guidelines

OVERVIEW
    Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes – not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti–tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

CALIFORNIA CERTIFICATION
    A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49–state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

CERTIFICATION STANDARDS
    Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust – controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

CLASSIFICATION
    Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy–duty engine cannot be installed in a light–duty exhaust–controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non–emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off–road–use–only engines may not be placed in any exhaust–controlled vehicle.

COMPUTER CONTROLS
    If a computer–controlled engine is installed in a non–computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

EMISSION CONTROL CONFIGURATION
    Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine–chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

EMISSION WARRANTY
    Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

ENGINE MODIFICATIONS
    No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB–exempted or EPA–certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
    The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel–to–gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

SMOG INSPECTION
    These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe).
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Thank you. I hope to do this legitimately someday soon.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
    HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
    **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Bumping this thread....and providing some related info.

There are a handful of counties within California that do not require smog testing. These counties are....

Alpine
      Amador
      Calaveras
      Del Norte
      Humboldt
      Imperial
      Inyo
      Lake
      Lassen
      Mariposa
      Mendocino
      Modoc
      Mono
      Plumas
      Sierra
      Siskiyou
      Trinity
      Tuolumne

Wiki source on Calif smog info:

DMV source on Calif smog info:
      https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado
      Placer
      Riverside
      San Bernardino
      San Diego
      Sonoma

Zip Code verification link:

So depending on where you live in California, you might be off the hook when it comes to emissions compliance. Research it!!!

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

whats the best way to wire up a CEL? My 84 never had it and I plan on making my car CA - Legal. should be a fun experience!!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You can add a female pin on the c101 side to accept the x6031/x20 cel pin from the engine side. Wire it up to a check engine bulb + pigtail from a late model junkyard car.

Obviously you'll need to wire up the x20/x6031 side as well.
          Project
          Feedback

Comment

in the process of getting my car bar's. They asked for a stock 1995 m3 ecu which was only made for a couple months. If i get it, would still need a ews delete chip?

Comment

Originally posted by Jcate30 View Post
              in the process of getting my car bar's. They asked for a stock 1995 m3 ecu which was only made for a couple months. If i get it, would still need a ews delete chip?
              M3 ews delete chip is actually a copy of stock 506 chip. So if you get 506 DME you don't have to do anything to it.

Comment

I passed BAR first time with a M50NV swap with after market cone first on the MAF, modified OBD2 exhaust manifolds, and stock cats from the M50NV. I went to the South Sacramento BAR station and a nice gentleman gave me a BAR sticker and I left with a HUGE smile on my face.
                SEE THE MOST BORING M50NV BUILD THREAD HERE: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288275

Comment

DON'T go to the one in Alameda. The guy who used to work there was laid back so I've heard, new guy is no good. Failed me twice, first time for a very slow leaking radiator (didn't leak a drop while I was there) and second for not warming up the car after over an hour of sitting, small puff of smoke at start up (only happens on steep inclines, which I was since it was on the dyno) and a knock sensor code even though he didn't show me and no codes came up on stomp test.

RIP 02/25/15
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

So what did those of you with a s52 do? I have the 506 ecu, I'm also wondering about ob2 headers installed with block off plates.
                    87 325i Coupe - Sold
                    95 M3 Track rat - Sold
                    87 325i Vert - Sold
                    87 325is S52 swap - Sold
                    99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
                    03 525i Touring - Current
                    03 325i Touring (Mtech Conv) - Current
                    88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      whats the best way to wire up a CEL? My 84 never had it and I plan on making my car CA - Legal. should be a fun experience!!

+1 I have an 84 as well. I added an LED to the cntr console because i don't have a stock cluster. I wired it directly to the Ecu. Although I think I fucked up because I read the Ecu provides ground not power.
                      Right now the cel is on all the time.

Anyone know what pin on the red label 413 provides ground for the CEL?

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
                        You can add a female pin on the c101 side to accept the x6031/x20 cel pin from the engine side. Wire it up to a check engine bulb + pigtail from a late model junkyard car.

Obviously you'll need to wire up the x20/x6031 side as well.
                        87 325i Coupe - Sold
                        95 M3 Track rat - Sold
                        87 325i Vert - Sold
                        87 325is S52 swap - Sold
                        99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
                        03 525i Touring - Current
                        03 325i Touring (Mtech Conv) - Current
                        88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

Any idea on what documentation you need for where you bought the engine/engine in general? Aka I have no documents on the engine because I got it in pieces.

Feedback!
                          Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                          Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
                            Any idea on what documentation you need for where you bought the engine/engine in general? Aka I have no documents on the engine because I got it in pieces.
                            I've always wondered this. I asked awhile back on the forum and just got told to look it up on the dmv website, I did a search didn't find anything
                            Last edited by efficient; 01-29-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I didn't have any documentation when I BAR'd my MR2. As long as it's not stolen you should be fine.
                              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                              X