No announcement yet.

Project: Spielereien. AKA "The dumpster fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions were made, Not going to pull the heads. Seals and water pump ordered, also an X5 oil block. Cleaning of the motor and parts starts in the next few days, reassembly after that....

Also, I found a BMW DOT-R on the rear of the block, above the Valley pan, which reinforces my theory that, this engine one of the good Alusil block replacement, the numbers confirm this. So the likelihood that it has been rebuilt is now pretty much a sure thing.

Can't wait for the parts to come in so I can start reassembly.....
    Last edited by delamaize; 09-20-2015, 10:19 PM.
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Box-o-Seals, new water pump and thermostat came from Pelican today....Still waiting for my X5 oil block....
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Did a little work tonight on the M60, Did some minor reassembly, and some cleaning to the passenger side bank. Not going for spotless, just to get rid of the buildup, and get it mostly clean.

Stay tuned, I'll fix these pictures soon....

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 10:17 PM.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

More cleaning, and more assembly over the last few days. New water pump is on, Valley tray is back on, New Exhaust Manifolds, engine mount arms, and X5 oil block are on. Also took care of the carbon build up in the intake runners, and intake manifold. I gotta clean up the oil filter housing, and the alternator for reassembly. then at that point I am pretty much at a stop until I can afford new knock sensors. The ones I have are beyond toasted. The plastic housing on all 4 units are cracked and falling apart.

Also, does anyone know where to find a diagram of the engine harness for an automatic harness M60? I gotta remove all the auto shit from this thing. Alternately, If someone has a M60B40 manual harness they want to part with for a decent deal, PM me....
          Last edited by delamaize; 10-06-2015, 06:35 PM.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Seems like a lot of guys swapping in m60s are finding the knock sensors destroyed, I wonder if it's a common problem. Where are they located on the engine?

Comment

They're on the block just below the intake ports. With no air circulation, they get pretty damn hot, I think that's why the plastic always cracks. I've yet to find any confirmation that the cracks in the plastic impact sensor operation. Almost every 540i on the road has old cracked sensors, not many have knock sensor fault codes.

For $45/each x 4, I replaced mine. Not something I wanted to do later in the car. Of course, I've had my intake manifold off probably 5 times now anyway, go figure.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Makes sense. I can imagine it gets very hot in there.

Comment

I ordered my replacement knock sensors last night, from Rock Auto, Bosch parts. I paid about $40 each. I didn't want to have to fight with them later.
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Rock Auto sent me the 2 wire sensors, I need the 3 wire sensor. Which makes no sense. The manufacture date on the donor was 8/1994, which I think makes it a 1995, and it should have the 2 wire knock sensors? I dunno, I sent the sensors back for a refund, then I will have to order the proper ones from somewhere else, Probably Pelican.

I won't be using Rock Auto again....
                    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I'm finishing up with the final preperation, and parts collection for the major componants of my M60 swap. I ran across this picture, in this thread:

Can anyone tell me what car the part that is circled is, and what car it came from? or is it a custom part? I had an idea to basicly build the same thing, but if it's available off the shelf, or from a junkyard somewhere, I'd rather go with that.
                      Attached Files
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

My understanding is that is a custom built part. I will be building something very similar to that for my swap. It seems like the most simple option for the booster swap, because I think you can get away without having to cut and weld on the brake pedal = Less headache!

Two of my knock sensors are also broken..

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                          My understanding is that is a custom built part. I will be building something very similar to that for my swap. It seems like the most simple option for the booster swap, because I think you can get away without having to cut and weld on the brake pedal = Less headache!

Two of my knock sensors are also broken..
                          Well, Custom build it is....
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Finally got my E30 back from a Buddy's dad. He's been driving it, because his car got jacked......for the last 4 months, It was only suppose to be "a week or so."

He fucked up some things also, it was damn near out of oil, really low on coolant, somewhere along the line he caught the front lip on something, and bent the shit out of the front valance, the steering rack leaks 100% worse than it did before I let him use it, and it also has a nasty exhaust leak now.

The Seta ended up being ok, and it runs good still, but that's trivial, because of the swap. Now that I have it back, I've started kicking things into a higher gear. I hope to get the rear Camber/caster adjusters, and subframe reinforcements welded on the new rear subframe sooner than later, then work on getting the car in the garage....
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                              Still waiting for my X5 oil block....
                              Might be a stupid question...but what are you referring to here?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                                Might be a stupid question...but what are you referring to here?

Replaces the Engine mount oil block, with one that doesn't have a mount. Since the stock mounts are not reused.
                                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                                X