*PSA* Avoid Miller Performance*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbcarozza View Post
    I have bought two of their MAF systems and chips for my e30 with surprisingly nice HP gains and throttle response. I have been trying to reach Brody for 3 weeks about another purchase for my track e30 with no reply. He just isn’t reliable with getting back with people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol, well that's part of running a business, communication. Avoid that company, they don't deserve your hard earned money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

People have figured out how to burn and tune chips for motronic, unlock newer DME via Forums.

I assume the product is somewhat reliable among the other items to choose from out there?

I guess what im getting at.... A Miller CUSTOMER support group for ones who have figured this out and how to help others?

Maybe there is already such a thing?

Generic maf and a programmable chip with cable. I'm sure these items are everywhere in Russia?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

The biggest problem with Miller setup is you have to run the software in XP. It's not impossible, but unless you know how to VM or have an ancient laptop floating around, it's not the best solution. Better off with Megasquirt at this point.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Being motronic is from the 80's. XP is a luxury.

I'm also on the fence that any reliable repetitive Maf conversion is unrealistic?

But stories of changing out AFM's with different outcomes(USED) maybe the same?

I would post here and try to grow the database. Same when all products get old, You have to dig for an old guy to figure it out. This is still young, it has potential and a community still.
          Last edited by moatilliatta; 07-31-2019, 12:27 PM.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            Being motoronic is from the 80's. XP is a luxury.

I'm also on the fence that any reliable repetitive Maf conversion is unrealistic?

I would post here and try to grow the database. Same when all products get old, You have to dig for an old guy to figure it out. This is still young, it has potential and a community still.
            I think the idea is admirable, but why would I waste time supporting a company that can't even give me simple information? They don't offer replacements for broken parts that I'm aware of, so the modularity isnt there.

Megasquirt, the much better option, is full of a community and the company offers help and customer service.

Most companies that care about their business knows customer service doesn't rely on their patrons creating a support group.

Miller isn't worth anyone's time or money because you will never be worth theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
              Being motronic is from the 80's. XP is a luxury.

Did you look at the dates? Most of those threads are 5+ years old. There's *one* from this year. That forum is totally dead.

There was a big discussion with the E30 M3 guys about why the Miller MAF conversions are not great. But people want to believe..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Did you look at the dates? Most of those threads are 5+ years old. There's *one* from this year. That forum is totally dead.

There was a big discussion with the E30 M3 guys about why the Miller MAF conversions are not great. But people want to believe..
                I've seen it all when it comes to these kinds of conversions over the years. Split Second and Miller were big on MAF conversions back in the day. While the idea was awesome, the execution wasn't and left a lot to be desired. Probably worked well for a track car but not so great on a street car. As for Miller's chip based Alpha N system for the E30 M3. They somehow thought they were the first to market such a thing when in fact Jim Conforti had worked on the same exact thing decades ago. A project that was abandoned due to it's limitations on a street driven car. Anyway, one of the people in that thread who raved about Miller's setup, has since changed his tune quietly and gone back to stock probably due in part to the same reasons many people have been turned off by them. Miller has been around forever yet they seem to come and go with each new product.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Can attest.

Have a friend who M3 runs the Alpha-N Miller. It was in the shop because the car started running like garbage. We ended up grabbing another Miller tune from another M3 owner in town (who has a MM motor as well), which allowed us to get the car movable again. What a PITA. Miller was zero help and the owner is going back to stock or MS when he gets time to deal with it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Id say its all the same... Go with all the OLDer style systems out there. Including MaXX alpha-N

You have to find guys who been around when it was new to go back their part of the memory to figure it out... Or a support group.

Nando, I did. That is what I mention to revive it

Originally posted by nando View Post

I just always hoped the Maf conversions could work out...

But could the real issue be Avoid Maf conversions?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

its 2019, so a PNP standalone is what people should look for......
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Just saying - my Megasquirt 3x system, that I built in 2011 - I literally haven't touched it once since 2012.
                        Last edited by nando; 08-01-2019, 09:40 PM.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Can someone explain what you actually get for $859usd?

North America's only true Alpha-N system fully controlled by the factory ECU. This plug and play system eliminates the air flow meter and allows you to tune your engine in the "Alpha-N" configuration which works perfect for carbon intake modifications.

I've tried to read the blurb a few times but confused myself. Is it basically a plug and play piggy back ecu chip? that takes engine inputs and then tricks the oem ecu into outputing the new fuel and spark? If my understanding is correct then i can appreciate the effort gone into the product but it seems like a huge stuff around.

$859usd is alot of money. That's like midrangeish aftermarket ecu money, why would you buy this miller kit over a mid range haltech or something and get full control over everything?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

North America's only true Alpha-N system fully controlled by the factory ECU. This plug and play system eliminates the air flow meter and allows you to tune your engine in the "Alpha-N" configuration which works perfect for carbon intake modifications.

I've tried to read the blurb a few times but confused myself. Is it basically a plug and play piggy back ecu chip? that takes engine inputs and then tricks the oem ecu into outputing the new fuel and spark? If my understanding is correct then i can appreciate the effort gone into the product but it seems like a huge stuff around.

$859usd is alot of money. That's like midrangeish aftermarket ecu money, why would you buy this miller kit over a mid range haltech or something and get full control over everything?
                            lol, you wouldn't. Don't buy their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

You get an eprom chip that can be written/rewritten while installed in the DME via cable. It's an old school method. Problem is you cannot tune on the fly. It comes with a TPS sensor and a sub harness to make it all plug and play. Why do us M3 guys like that vs standalone? besides being PnP, there is the support factor. Having a system developed specifically for your car means, it will start right up and only need slight tuning with their basemap. Not everyone has access to a capable tuner and if they do they can be expensive. Secondly, many like myself prefer the stock DME as it also runs the OBC. Finally, let's face it, S14 performance tuning has fallen off with higher risk and very little gains per dollar. With higher values in stockish cars, fewer people want to take the leap go full standalone. Most M3's are now garage queens anyway. This is why I told them they were were about 10 years too late with this product.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                                It's an old school method.

This.

I remember back in the early 90's when FI was still somewhat of a black art, and this was the hot thing to do with Domestic and Imports. Piggyback systems to do exactly as what was mentioned - trick the stock DME/ECU.. etc. They were a stop gap for people who were used to changing cams and carbs and not using a laptop.

But once you had the custom flashes and SCT type companies developing tuning software for stock or complete stand alone systems - piggy backs became the ghetto solution.

Or they were for those that wanted to cheat in racing... We had a bunch of people using piggy backs or switchable chips in PRO3 illegally. Group had to ban them several years back.
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X