Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B23 - idle - AFR and timing

Hello all,

setup: M20b23 (9.8:1 comp ratio and different combustion chamber to the m20b25), MS2, LS1 coils in wastes spark (no dizzy), Closed loop idle control with PWM 2 wire idle valve.

In the interest of fuel economy I am looking to optimise my megasqurit tune further. I currently have it targeting 14:7 on cruise with wide band feed back on closed loop, works well.

What sort of idle AFR do you think i can get away with? when i first got the engine up and running on mega squirt i found that it seemed to want a bit more of a richer tune at idle, its currently targeting 13.8:1 which works fine. But this was before i deleted the oem coil and now have LS1 coils in wasted spark, unsure if this will help?

I am currently at 19deg timing at idle at 13.8 and it idle fine.

Do you think i can achieve 14:7 at idle and if so what do you suggest i do for timing? increase? decrease? up the dwell time a touch to help it fire on a leaner mixer?

you say it's idling fine; if it isn't doing anything you'd call bad behavior, yeah, have it auto-tune for stoich in that part of the map is my opinion and if it isn't pinging or stumbling, your ignition timing is good.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

yer thanks for that. I should just give it a go hey.

I was just on the war path of optimisation, so interested to see what others had done.

I was even considering trying cruise at 14.9 or even 15, and see how it went. At the moment it gets great fuel economy (~9L/100km) and even better on the highway. but maybe there is more to be had. or maybe if i start cruising at these speeds i will lose HP in these load cells, and end up using more throttle, and using the same amount of fuel....

Comment

Lean cruise is ok but timing may need to be advanced more to do it effectively as leaner mixtures burn a bit slower
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
        X