Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: Sunroof cassette/frame removal - with pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished this job. The writeup and photos helped a lot. I did it without a helper and do agree with one poster who said to leave the rear drain lines attached. It holds the cassette up even once detached from the roof in the rear so you can work towards the front. I did F up the roof a little in the front, but this is a track car so I don't care. The forward part of the roof between sunroof hole and windshield is pretty fragile so use caution there.

Thanks again to the OP for the writeup.

Comment

In case of this thread, does anybody has extra sunroof cover 54121906710 in Black color for sale? ;)
      Or gaskets?

Comment

This thread just reminded me of something I was thinking about.... since the headliners and headliner foam material is different between sunroof and non-sunroof cars...will removing the cassette allow for installation of non sunroof foam/headliner w/o any issues?
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Just did the cassette on a friends late model and found that there were only 3 spot welds across the front of the sunroof opening. This is the first car that I found this but the other two cars that I did this to were early models.
          sigpic
          '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            This thread just reminded me of something I was thinking about.... since the headliners and headliner foam material is different between sunroof and non-sunroof cars...will removing the cassette allow for installation of non sunroof foam/headliner w/o any issues?
            I just removed my cassette and have a non-sunroof headliner and the front trim piece. Don't have the non-sunroof foam...

Comment

I'm going t do this to my E30.
              I'm using a carbon plate as a sunroof delete, simply gluing it into place with a very strong glue.
              (They use this glue on a very expensive supercar, to hold the carbon bodyparts together, can't remember the name on this glue).
              #ShenanigansE30 1989 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 replica http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320784
              Ruffian 1987 318is 2 door Hartge project http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=290863
              Natalma 1990 Touring AC Schnitzer S3
              #GlorianaE28 1986 525i
              #AnniePowerE34 525i 3.2 M50 with AC Schnitzer S5 parts
              sigpic

Comment

bookmarked
                S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                Originally posted by slammin.e28
                I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  I just removed my cassette and have a non-sunroof headliner and the front trim piece. Don't have the non-sunroof foam...
                  where in the bloody hell did you find a non sunroof headliner for a e30? cant find one anywhere???
                  10 minutes... then we invade China.
                  We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
                  And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

Originally posted by 1owNslo View Post
                    where in the bloody hell did you find a non sunroof headliner for a e30? cant find one anywhere???
                    latemodel 318 with a slick top

Comment

wouldnt happen to have access to another one would ya??
                      10 minutes... then we invade China.
                      We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
                      And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

Quite helpful. I somewhat wasn't patient enough to follow perfectly with drilling out the b pillar spot welds. Oh well

Comment

Looking for Casset!

If someone has one in working condition drop me a pm. thanks

Comment

Thanks!

HUGE thanks for posting this! Managed to do this without butchering my roof too badly; this post was incredibly helpful.

Comment

Just did this today with the help of this post. Thank you. A spot weld drilling tool is amazing. Took them right out easily. Completely worth it.

Now is just need to fix the rust hole next to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post
                                Just did this today with the help of this post. Thank you. A spot weld drilling tool is amazing. Took them right out easily. Completely worth it.

Nice work. Did you cut that filter panel out yourself?

Interested to hear your experiences with the whole welding process.

Comment

Working...
                                X