No announcement yet.

DIY: Undo the bitch clip the easy way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

must be slightly different engine positions of E30s. I've never had it take longer than 5 minutes.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Usually it comes out pretty easy for me with a screwdriver, but on one particular car I could NOT get it off. took me 15 minutes and I was getting pretty frustrated. I can't imagine going at it for 3 hours!

Comment

This took my buddy and I well over an hour on an M Roadster we were doing and we destroyed the clip. Used this tool today and it took less than 5 seconds! Well done!!!!!!
        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Sometimes they're really friggen tight and there's no way to slide any tool in between it and the top of the trans, and prying from the side just mangles it. Usually they're not too bad though and only take a couple minutes. It also really depends on whether you're yanking tranny so exhaust, driveshaft and heat shields are all out of the way and tranny mount is disconnected to drop it down a few inches, then you have plenty of access.

Comment

what is the bitch clip? are we talking the clips on the shift linkage?
            BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
              yes
              "I wanna see da boat movie"
              "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
                The ones on the shift linkage are circlips, this is the carrier arm clip that sits on top of the transmission.

Comment

you guys have problems with that? all you need is a cool exhaust and a small short flat head
                  BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                    I seriously could not get the bitch clip with screw drivers, I went at it for four hours straight until I said fuck it and bought this tool. After I came back, I got it done in 2 minutes.
                    This was me yesterday. That tool's a life saver.

And free bump for an old but extremely useful thread. This is one of those things that's really not obvious and it's not easy to figure out on your own, great DIY.

PS: has anyone eliminated the bitch clip and stuck a bolt and nut through there for easier removal? I saw this in another thread.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I used a small pry bar. Works every time. Next time ill run a stop watch.
                      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Yeah, I have never had an issue with those clips. I've worked on more than a handful of e30s as well. Insert flathead screwdriver from the driveshaft side, pull down. It pops up without a fuss every time. Not even a 30 second event.
                        -tim
                        Originally posted by Jordan
                        I like the stance
                        -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Dealt with this this last weekend. I ended up disconnecting the trans brace, and mounts, dropping the trans down enough to fit a screw drive under the clip itself and pulled towards me and POP, it came out!
                          clutchCTRL!
                          Move with a purpose.
                          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                          - 2000 323i AT
                          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                            This was me yesterday. That tool's a life saver.

And free bump for an old but extremely useful thread. This is one of those things that's really not obvious and it's not easy to figure out on your own, great DIY.

PS: has anyone eliminated the bitch clip and stuck a bolt and nut through there for easier removal? I saw this in another thread.
                            Yup. Phuck a bitch clip.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

DIY: Undo the bitch clip the easy way.

Originally posted by Flood View Post

Harbor Freight item 96572 is what you will need. Now on sale!
                              Focking pick is NLA at Harbor, but I found this one on Amazon.

Last edited by Aleman; 08-15-2016, 09:13 AM.
                              R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                              └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Am I the only one who can't see the pics in the OP?

Cory
                                1992 325i Cabrio
                                1988 320i Touring
                                2000 M5
                                1977 530i
                                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                                BMWCCA
                                E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                                X