For those of you running 17's with big, meaty tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iansane View Post
    You talk in circles. YOU were the one that came up with an 1100kg criteria. Drivetrain layout is most definitely going to affect tire sizes. A modern base Carrera uses a 235 up front and a 295 in the back. Hell, on the atrocious front wheel drive Pontiac Grand Prix from the early 2000s GM used a 255 in front and a 225 in the rear. Concessions have to be made on some cars.

I don't think you're going to find a lot of "proven data" other than hearsay and lap times with regards to the e30 chassis and max tire size choices. Up until recently this was a cheap chassis to race. Cheap racers go race and see what works and what doesn't.
    No I didnt, I pointed out that an E30 weighs 1100kg, nothing more. Someone else said there were a lack of similar car for comparison, which I agreed with, but looking at a range to either side of that weight still provides a general trend.

I'd firmly doubt a Pontiac Grand Prix has a weight distribution anywhere near 50:50 and the driven wheels are at the other end. Most front drive hatchbacks run a square layout. The question raised was the comparison between front, mid and rear engined and in small cars, thats a question of whether the driver, seat, pedalbox etc sits in front or behind the engine, the outcome is still generally very close to 50:50.

Indeed, hence asking what people have found to work. The answer to my original question need only have been "I ran 215s last season and they overheated" or "I back to backed the same brand of tyre in two widths and the 245 was faster" - but no one seems to have that.

Comment

Here is the front with 99 m3 front control arms new e30 ball joints pressed in. Z3m strut assembly with is stage 3 race springs and lower drop hats. No spacers. All new sway bar bushings and hardware.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 330icrazy View Post
        Here is the front with 99 m3 front control arms new e30 ball joints pressed in. Z3m strut assembly with is stage 3 race springs and lower drop hats. No spacers. All new sway bar bushings and hardware.

Are those the et21 style 32s?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Style 32 from a 540i 17x8 front 17x9 rear

Comment

Does the front hit anything with that setup?
            stock cabs and 225s the wheel is very very close to hitting the valance on mine.
            i want to go to 235 later but looks like it might touch bringing it more forward.

Alittle close by jet jones, on Flickr
            Last edited by LowR3V'in; 06-16-2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 330icrazy View Post
              Style 32 from a 540i 17x8 front 17x9 rear

Yeah so I think that's et20 front and et26 rear.
              Can you post more pics please?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

235/40r17 with offset cab.

Comment

Looks like I will rub the inner plastic some.

Comment

nice doesn't like it moves it up that much.

Comment

Any update with people running 245/40R17's?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Any update with people running 245/40R17's?
                        I'll be running that size in the rear on 17x10s +5 offset. Should look pretty silly. I'll post pics when they're on.
                        "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Awesome

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

So options for 7.5" wide wheel for street:
                            1) 215/40/17 All corners (Michelin PS4)
                            2) 215/45/17 R and 205/45/17 F (Michelin PS5)
                            thoughts?
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              So options for 7.5" wide wheel for street:
                              1) 215/40/17 All corners (Michelin PS4)
                              2) 215/45/17 R and 205/45/17 F (Michelin PS5)
                              thoughts?
                              I really liked my 205/45/17 Michelin Super Sports. They did everything well and filled out the 7.5 wheel nicely. The 205 PSS tread width is 7.7" which is wider than 215 PS4S (PS5?) at 6.8".

I wasn't able to find any 215/40 Michelins. Were are you seeing them?

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

I really liked my 205/45/17 Michelin Super Sports. They did everything well and filled out the 7.5 wheel nicely. The 205 PSS tread width is 7.7" which is wider than 215 PS4S (PS5?) at 6.8".

I wasn't able to find any 215/40 Michelins. Were are you seeing them?
                                Thanks, I’m in upside down land so not relevant likely.

where do you find the actual tread width data ?

Interesting you mentioned 205 as i was worried they be stretched a bit band down on grip over 205 but PSS is a different beast
                                215/45/17 rear
                                205/45/17 front

both available in ps5 (and cup2s but not going there)

any pics of the 205s installed?

im pretty sure 215/45/17 will fit at rear unless I’m mistaken so fairly settled on that so front either 205/45 or 215/40
                                Last edited by digger; 08-06-2023, 11:04 PM.
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X