Driveshaft Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft Question

A friend of mine is giving me the rear half of a '98 M3 driveshaft leaving me with the task of souring the front half.

Looking for full driveshaft showed me that they're typically pretty rare at a good price however I see a decent amount of cheap '95 M3 6 bolt driveshafts for sale in my area. I'm wondering if I can use my buddy's rear half along with the front of one of those driveshafts.

Is the front half the same?
    91 318iS - aluminum M52B28 + ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

You can use a 328 complete driveshaft as well. Doesn't have to be m3 only.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
      You can use a 328 complete driveshaft as well. Doesn't have to be m3 only.
      They seem to be just as rare, unfortunately.

For some reason I can find 6 bolt ones for at least half the price of a 4 bolt consistently around my area. For a single year car, it's strange how common they are which is why I'm asking if I can use the front half of the 6 bolt with the 4 bolt rear.

Comment

Yes you can.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
          Yes you can.
          Awesome, that's great news. Thanks!

Comment

Assuming you're using the ZF320 trans - if you end up totally stuck you can always grab the regular E30 eta driveshaft if it's easier to find in your area
            1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
            1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
            1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
            My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Aych View Post
              Assuming you're using the ZF320 trans - if you end up totally stuck you can always grab the regular E30 eta driveshaft if it's easier to find in your area
              I am using the ZF320, I’ll have to look for the 325e driveshaft if this current deal falls through.

Bumping this because I’m in conversation with someone that has a 6 bolt, so I just want one more verification it’ll work!

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                Yes you can.
                Welp, I have the 95 M3 6 bolt driveshaft in my garage and I just split it and the 4 bolt rear half does not connect as the front half is male as well as the rear.

95 M3 shaft:
                ---->0------

95 M3 front with 4 bolt rear:
                ----><------

So I can't connect them. I don't know why the 328/M3 shaft is so gold dipped, but I suppose I'll have to shell out the $400 ungodly dollars for a 20 year old driveshaft.

Comment

Working...
                X