First Car : 316i E30 Coupe w/ SR20DET swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Car : 316i E30 Coupe w/ SR20DET swap

Technically second, bought a 318i with the 1.8L M40 but sold it in a week.

Been wanting to do this since forever but never got around to doing it. I procrastinate a lot.

So I am making an ownership? thread where I sort out little things on it and hopefully increase the boost.

Bought it a month or so ago for around $5k. It was very loud and the clutch was OS Giken super single which was overkill, replaced it with a crappy exedy clutch at a shop along with a quieter exhaust.

For all the purists, I agree M20 turbo or M50 would've been the better route but I live somewhere that makes those routes pretty cost ineffective. SR20s are cheap here and as a result there are quite a few of these kind of cars hanging around. We never had the 318is or 325i here either. Just the 318i and 316i.

It started out as a 316i coupe. Power steering, power windows, and air conditioning. The odd thing is that it really doesn't seem to have central locking, it was just not fitted I think.

Got a 5 lug swap, Skyline R32 brakes, rear disc brake conversion, lowered painfully, Advan RG1 wheels that I don't know the size of, S14 Blacktop SR20DET, FMIC, AFC, boost guage and an aftermarket air filter for it.

Quite a bit of rust, that I didn't spot earlier because the whole car was resprayed a bit poorly. *Insert lots of childish hash tags to explain my stupidity here*

It seems a little cursed. Lost my keys soon after I bought it, got more workload, rolled into a car behind me on a slope (not much experience with a manual, sorted it out with the driver without getting into trouble), and I nearly lost control this morning. Haven't registered it still.

Some pictures over the month or two:

Hmm interesting. Late model with early euros. Interesting.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
        You know it's a hack job when you see 'em
        [All the Bronzit haters]

Comment

That rust on the firewall is caused by the strut tower being damaged, the car was prob hit in the wheel or bottomed out hard on that side. Its a common weak point which causes the camber to be thrown off on that side.

Id just drive the car into the ground and enjoy it for what it is.
          We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post

That rust on the firewall is caused by the strut tower being damaged, the car was prob hit in the wheel or bottomed out hard on that side. Its a common weak point which causes the camber to be thrown off on that side.

Id just drive the car into the ground and enjoy it for what it is.
            We got lots of bumps around where I live.

It definitely bottomed out hard, I have a little hairline crack on the other side too.

Gawd... first car and I learn it has only so much left to live for.

So I guess there was the catch.

Can't I just weld it up or something?

Or reshell? Or will I just be best off selling it?

Do I expect it to see 2 years?

Comment

Sure, you could grind out everything and weld it up, but it will probably happen to the other side. Two years wouldn't be unreasonable on German roads, not sure about Thailand. You could always be the first to develop a weld in brace kit.

FYI, cracks in panel filler almost always indicate a fair stress has been put on that area.

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                Just want to correct you.

It's actually an early model euro with late model rear lamps welded in. Just learned that today.

Comment

Working...
                X