New pricing policy at Crazy Ray's = :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pricing policy at Crazy Ray's = :(

I stopped by the Crazy Ray's in Hawkin's Point yesterday morning to pick up a spare DME for my E36. I've pulled DMEs there in the past and they used to be $29 (or maybe it was $31 after core, but close to that.)

"$58.92." the cashier told me after asking make and year of the part.

WHAT?

They now have a tiered pricing on their parts according to year and make. I guess I need to say everything I grab is now from an 83 Buick going forward. Such crap. I left it since I didn't really need it and for about the same price I can get one from a member on here or Bimmerforums that has been tested. Also not sure if this is at every Crazy Ray's or just the Hawkin's Point location.

Also, the :hitler: woman cashier who used to be at Jessup is now at Hawkin's Point. I'm not sure if this will happen often or she was just filling in there. Hopefully she was just filling in since I can not stand that woman.

Apologies if this is common knowledge now, I haven'y been to CR's in a few months and I didn't see any mention of this new pricing in the little bit of searching I did.

I also noticed they are now lifting every car in the yard up on those welded together spare wheel stands they use, and a lot of the inventory was pretty old, most of the dates were early July. Maybe inventory is sitting longer since people are buying less with their new more expensive tiered pricing. Hopefully profits go down and they move back to their old pricing.

Originally posted by kts View Post
    I stopped by the Crazy Ray's in Hawkin's Point yesterday morning to pick up a spare DME for my E36. I've pulled DMEs there in the past and they used to be $29 (or maybe it was $31 after core, but close to that.)

"$58.92." the cashier told me after asking make and year of the part.

WHAT?

They now have a tiered pricing on their parts according to year and make. I guess I need to say everything I grab is now from an 83 Buick going forward. Such crap. I left it since I didn't really need it and for about the same price I can get one from a member on here or Bimmerforums that has been tested. Also not sure if this is at every Crazy Ray's or just the Hawkin's Point location.

Also, the :hitler: woman cashier who used to be at Jessup is now at Hawkin's Point. I'm not sure if this will happen often or she was just filling in there. Hopefully she was just filling in since I can not stand that woman.

Apologies if this is common knowledge now, I haven'y been to CR's in a few months and I didn't see any mention of this new pricing in the little bit of searching I did.

I also noticed they are now lifting every car in the yard up on those welded together spare wheel stands they use, and a lot of the inventory was pretty old, most of the dates were early July. Maybe inventory is sitting longer since people are buying less with their new more expensive tiered pricing. Hopefully profits go down and they move back to their old pricing.
    CR has always (as long as I have gone there) charged a different rate for import or domestic electronic parts. I frequently say mid 90s Explorer if/when I buy electronics I am not allowed to test. :-x

That woman is terrible, as is the woman who drives one of the forklifts/front loaders at Jessup. Last time I was there she smashed a perfectly nice bronzit coupe with another car when she could see we were taking parts from it.

On the plus side, it's great that they have stuff on stands now!

For future reference, many parts fit in the free space in the back of an E30 seat, and as long as it does not jiggle around they don't know/care. ;)

Still, locals should count our blessings that we have three good pick-n-pulls nearby.

Comment

Weird I've never been asked for make and year until now and pricing was always flat and matched the price sheet on their website. Unfortunately now all the prices on their website are just blank.

Wow that's horribly unsafe of that front end loader driver to do that while you were pulling parts. The Jessup location is my least favorite due to that cashier and the swamp pits that form there. That said I have gotten a lot of stuff there for cheap off and on.

Comment

Crazy rays is forgetting that you pull it yourself.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Went to Crazy Rays in Edgewood last Saturday. The woman at the entrance was on the phone and barked at my son, "Not 16 or under 5'1" aint getting in!"

My wife was with me too and shouted back, "Well, I guess I'm not allowed in either!" She's about 5' 1/2".

So we left but I went back in and spoke to the manager - a gray haired guy (I'm gray too). He'd heard what had been said and told me he would address it with her when she hung up.

FWIW - I went back a few days later. No e30s. The cars were jammed in tight but picked over extensively. Nothing good that I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by dougsic View Post
            Went to Crazy Rays in Edgewood last Saturday. The woman at the entrance was on the phone and barked at my son, "Not 16 or under 5'1" aint getting in!"

My wife was with me too and shouted back, "Well, I guess I'm not allowed in either!" She's about 5' 1/2".

So we left but I went back in and spoke to the manager - a gray haired guy (I'm gray too). He'd heard what had been said and told me he would address it with her when she hung up.

FWIW - I went back a few days later. No e30s. The cars were jammed in tight but picked over extensively. Nothing good that I saw.
            The answer is to go to Mt. Airy, nice people, good selection, not a mud puddle. Last time I was (~9/16) there I saw two E30s, a very nice 318is, and a 325e. But, I told myself to stick to the 5 series parts gathering and pass on all of the goodies in the E30s as I have far too many already.

Comment

More reason for me to go to Mt. Airy. Need to make the trip.

Jessup today guy said relays are 5.36 each! I had 6. I told him now obviously. These were just for troubleshooting, don't need 'em. He offered buy two get four free.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

So uh, any of you guys come across any manual transmissions for an m30 up there? I've been looking in Richmond for about a month and nothing is popping up. I realllllly need this car back on the road.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Why I ended up getting a refurbished unit.....

Comment

Also worth checking out the two yards (Pick-a-part) in Stafford and Fredricksburg, VA. They're both large yards (though can get muddy due to red clay soil) and in my experience there the car turnover is good, as in not many picked-over cars there. Last time there I saw at least 4 e30s which were almost entirely complete. Prices I've paid for stuff were reasonable, and they have an online listing of cars on the yard and their location - which isn't totally accurate but is at least 80% good I'd say. The staff there in my experience have been pretty friendly overall. I think last time the guy told me to not worry about paying for random small parts I had, just pay for the couple larger things.

They have car listings for both yards and price lists online

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop
                    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

^ They jacked up their prices back in January though. In late December me and my buddy found a 5 speed 325ix in there and I paid $800 for the Engine, transmission, both diffs, transfer case, front and rear drive shafts, and front half shafts (those prices were them pulling it too!!). When I went to pay the guy told me its a good thing I picked this up when I did because in a couple of weeks they were upping the prices. Me and my same friend went back in February (?) and they want $500 for a M50.... Also they started charing by the cylinder, and that sucked because I found a BMW V12 in there that same day. They use to be real reasonable, but lately I've been having bad experiences with them. I want to check out the Chesterfield Auto yards down in Richmond and also there is apparently some yards around down here Norfolk too.
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

It's still hit or miss.

Smile. Be cool. Have money ready. The pricing is very open to interpretation.

And while across the board prices have risen... along with everything else in life... you can still score some great stuff for way below what can be found in the forums and dealer.

Comment

Any B5's hitting Mount Airy? I don't live nearby but I'm in the area every few weeks. Just curious, need some random shit.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

B5 and B5.5 VWs at Jessup. Wagons, too.

Comment

Working...
                            X