X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Tech Report

Subject: GM5 Transmission Delayed Shift Problem

Vehicles:
    '03/'04(up to 11/03) E46 with M54 and GM5 Trans. 325iA, 325XiA, 330XiA, and from 03/03 325A/330A Coupe,Convertible, '03/04 (up to 12/03)E53 X5 3.0 with GM5 Trans.

Situation:
    Excessively long delay (5-30 seconds) in gear engagement from Park to Drive on the first cold start. Problem occurs only once a day on the initial start-up.

Cause:
    Unfavorable tolerances of forward clutch housing causing internal transmission pressure leak after overnight parking.

Service Fix:
    Replacement of defective Transmission with updated unit.
    --------------------------------------------

I heard someone complain of this problem,
    so there you are. Call your local dealer and get your new transmission.

Robert
    85' 325e

Um..

I don't think BMW produced too many '03 & early '04 Model year e30's.

For some reason, I imagine bringing a 20 year old slushbox car into the dealer and asking for a new tranny would probably not produce the desired results.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

Charlie,

Although this post maybe for older E30 owners, some of those owners may also
      own a newer BMW as well. You will also notice that all years and models affected
      where listed.

I was just being a nice guy and forwarding General BMW Tech information to the communityat large. If you are against that I am sorry for you as a moderator. As the larger BMW community may find it useful.

I will refrain from making further posts regarding factory TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins)

Respectfully,

Robert
      85' 325e
      Factory BMW Parts Technician

Comment

Originally posted by peerless
        Charlie,

Although this post maybe for older E30 owners, some of those owners may also
        own a newer BMW as well. You will also notice that all years and models affected
        where listed.

I was just being a nice guy and forwarding General BMW Tech information to the communityat large. If you are against that I am sorry for you as a moderator. As the larger BMW community may find it useful.

I will refrain from making further posts regarding factory TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins)

Respectfully,

Robert
        85' 325e
        Factory BMW Parts Technician
        I've got no problems with TSB's being posted, I just don't see any years of e30's or any other car that shares the e30 tranny being posted.

-Charlie
        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
        FYYFF

Comment

To be honest I had never noticed that this was an E30 Only Bulltetin Board until you
          posted your response. My bad for that. But nontheless I still hope that people here will
          appreciate the information regardless.

My bad for being testy, just trying to give out information that might prove useful to someone.

Robert
          85' 325e

Comment

post this on DTMpower.net, there's a ton of e46 guys one there
            BEERTECH

Comment

my e30 auto tranny works fine, even after me beating the hell out of it and 197,000 miles

then again its ZF and not GM ;)

Comment

Working...
              X