Got a Big problem!!(CAR IS FIXED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Big problem!!(CAR IS FIXED)

Well this morning I go out to my 85 318i and was planning on driving it to school I get in an push down the clutch pedal and there was no resistance whats so ever, It was 30 something out side so I figured i jsut drive my 88 325is to school instead. so today when I got home I just went out and checked the fluid level and it ws below the clutch pick up point. I filled it back up, but still no pressure So I get in and start the car in neutral and figured I put it into gear without using the clutch and drive it up to the garage So I can lay on concrete instead of dirt as I bleed the clutch. But once started the car would not go into gear. So I turn it off and restart but this time in gear. So I drive up the Driveway and stop in front of the garage but pulled a little bit to far forward. So I let off the brake and handbrake and put the car in nuetral and it won't budge. Some how the tranny is stuck in First gear. I can shift with the shifter into third forth fifth and reverse and hear it clunck as it engages but It won't shift into First or Second. I would try restarting the car in gear but then I'd be even further to far forward, as we have to have a path to be able to get to the front corner of the garage where there is a stall for our horse. So guys what happened? I drove my 88 325is like this without a clutch with no problems at all. I do have a spair M10 5 speed tranny but rather not swap trannies if I don't have to.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

You might want to repressurize the clutch line. Sounds like something with the throw-out bearing is stuck or frozen. Even though its possible to shift without a clutch, I can't believe its good for the tranny.
    Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

To me is sounds like you blew out the clutch slave cylinder, or the master cylinder.
      Jack it up, puts some stands under it, and pull back the boot on the slave cylinder. It's mounted on the side of the transmission. If you see fluid all over it, or it drips out when you pull the boot back, its bad and not allowing you to disengage the clutch.

I had the same problem on my 325e, but I had to replace both the master and slave, which is good insurance anyway since they both work together.

Comment

Just pulled the slave off an it's bad. But the Car is still Stuck in first gear!!!!! I can take the shifter and shift into every gear from reverse to 5th and feel it crunch slightly. But with the car in the air and the shifter in Neutral I can't turn the Driveshaft. I started the car while it was in the air and both tires are spinning and when trying to shfit into a gear with the shifter I jsut feel the Lockout. where as once the engine is off you can shfit into any gear but the driveshaft still won't spin. Could a frozen Release bearing cuase this? but then couldn't you steal shift the car out of gear and turn the driveshaft? I looked at all the shift linkage and it all apeard fine, it was a little rusty but nothing was broken. The car has always had a very tight shifter and sometimes it was hard to shift into each gear as it took a little more force then other e30's I've driven or own. I guese I'll buy a new slave stick it in and bleed, then see if I can get it out of gear or back to neutral.

Comment

Hmm, that sucks
          Sounds like a possible broken 1-2 shift fork, thats the only thing I can think of that would cause your symptoms.
          Did you try and jam it into or out of gear?
          Maybe the cold weather and the misuse broke it.

I would try a new slave, so that you can disengage the clutch.
          But it sounds like something is broke.
          Keep us updated.

Comment

well, if u go the route of slave and/or master fix then heres some good info

i just did it 2 weeks ago.
            98 M3/4/5

Comment

No I didn't jam it into gear when it didn't want to go with rev mathcing the engine like thhe 6 cylinder will, I just started it in gear and drove it up the driveway. I've replaced the clutch master and slave before on my 88 and completly pulled the tranny last winter to replace the Pivot pin So I know how to replace all the parts.

Comment

ok then, good luck. ;)
                98 M3/4/5

Comment

One problem with brake fluid, which is used for the clutch slave, is that it draws water to it. this is why you should change brake fluid every so often. Once you get a little water in the fluid and it gets cold, the water will freeze and can crack the seals in the slave cylinder. it happened to abuddy of mine in his six series and he had to replace his slave cylinder. As for the stuck in gear, sounds like something let go, possibly because of the cold as well.
                  sigpic
                  2001 330i - In the garage.
                  1986 335is - 325e with Euro 735 M30B34, Under Construction.
                  1989 E30 ///M3 - Sold.
                  1975 2002 - Sold.

Comment

Sounds like the 1-2 selector fork in the tranny is jammed/broken in first gear. The shifter will move when the car is off because when it's not spinning it can be in 2 gears at once; but as soon as the motor is spinning it you can't be in 1st and reverse at the same time....

Looks like you'll be swapping.
                    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Well should i just go ahead and start dismantaling? Where the car is not If I put a new slave in I will only be able to drive foward which will be bad. That makes since I don't know why it broke though? I've had no probs with this car and it has 160k on it and the only thing is grinding when going into reverse but all 318i's do that.
                      And with the fluid the Complete brake system from master cylinder to each wheel cylinder was all replaced 1.25 years ago. OS the fluid is still good and it's not dirty at all.

Comment

This is the second Getrag 240 that I've seen this happen on. It's major surgery on the tranny to fix it, so I'd just throw the spare in there.
                        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Ya I already started pulling it apart today so far the exhuast and half the driveshaft bolts are off but it's a bitch to remove the driveshaft since I can't rotate it so what I do is remove a couple bolts then pull out the big wrench and turn over the engine untill I can get a the next bolts. Two of the rear bolts where rusty so I sprayed them and quit for the day. So I guese when ever I get the money I'll order a new release bearing, pivot pin, slave cylinder, and some redline fluid and put the spair tranny on. I'm glad I grabbed the tranny now. It was sitting in a car at the Yard I was working at and they said they had no use for it at all so I took it and figured I could sell it or something.

Comment

Are you going to pull the old tranny apart anyway?
                            I would, if its just a shift fork, thats not too expensive or difficult.
                            Dont forget to send pics....

Comment

Ya I probally wil as I've always wanted to crack open a tranny :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X