Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member...with a couple of questions... update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member...with a couple of questions... update!

I have a 1991 318is. I recently noticed white stuff in the oil.

Update:
    1. I changed the oil, it looked fine. The white stuff was only on the dipstick.

2. My antifreeze leak was a faulty waterpump. It would leak while I was driving and antifreeze would get on the fan and get the engine bay a little messy. I replaced the waterpump, thermostat, and radiator hoses. No more antifreeze leak.

3. I have a new oil pan gasket ready to put on. That is the cause of my oil leak. I will fix that in the next week.

1. seriously if you are planing to drop any engine into that car, i'd think about an m50 or s50 out of an e36. swaping in an m20 just isn't worth it in my eyes.

2. yes you have to change transmissions if you drop in an m20. no to mection all the engine management systems.

3. depending on what has gone on your car depends what you have to replace and how much its going to cost you. you can either have a blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block (very doubtful)
    i don't know exactly how much you will be paying but i'm guessing around 1,000 us to have someone replace the head gaskets...depending on labour times, parts and shop rates. oh and btw how long has it been like that because you can ruin your crank bearings VERY fast in that condition.

hope that helps.
    cam
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Well are you having any other driveability problems? Does it overheat? does it burn coolant, does it burn oil?

How long since you last changed your oil?

Comment

I dont have any other driveability problems. The waterpump leaks coolant and the oil pan leaks, but it doesnt burn any oil that I am aware of. It doesnt overheat either. Sometimes the temp gauge goes a little past halfway, but that is only if the coolant is getting low due to the leak. I add more coolant, and the temp. is fine.
        I will admit to being overdue for an oil change though. It has been about 5000 miles since my last oil change. Due to my oil leak, I have had to add about 3 or 4 quarts of oil to it since then. I know I need to fix that as well, and I will as soon as I get a chance. I dont really have much time being a full time college student and working 2 jobs. Anyways, the reason I would swap an m20 instead of an m50 is price. I can not afford an m50. Plus the m20 puts out plenty enough power for me (I have had 2 325i's).

Comment

It doesn't sound like you are having head gasket or head problems.
          I dont know dude, I would just fix the waterpump and oil pan leaks, and change the oil.
          This would be cheaper and easier than swapping in a m20 and tranny and electronics.
          Wait till you have some driveability problems before you blame the headgasket.

my $.02

Comment

White stuff?? elaborate please.

Generally oil and coolant make chocalate milk. Define White stuff?

Maybe your engine has developed a cocaine problem, possibly being depressed because it
            has been mistreated. You should most likely check your car into a rehab clinic and get its bodily leaks fixed and give it a oil transfusion. Anything that is abused beyond a tolerable point will
            most likely abandon you leaving you helpless and stranded. Your BMW is crying out for help.
            For gods sakes be a man and show some compassion :twisted:

Robert
            85' 325e

Comment

Originally posted by peerless
              White stuff?? elaborate please.

Generally oil and coolant make chocalate milk. Define White stuff?

Maybe your engine has developed a cocaine problem, possibly being depressed because it
              has been mistreated. You should most likely check your car into a rehab clinic and get its bodily leaks fixed and give it a oil transfusion. Anything that is abused beyond a tolerable point will
              most likely abandon you leaving you helpless and stranded. Your BMW is crying out for help.
              For gods sakes be a man and show some compassion :twisted:

Robert
              85' 325e
              Actually oil and coolant don't mix too well, so there is no chocolate milk. Fix the leak issues first, then address the head by doing a compression check.

If you're a college student, any swap will be costly and difficult. I would wait till school's done, and then get a second car so the e30 can become a project all in it's own.

Sometimes you have to grow up a bit to be a kid again.
              Nick

87 325 5MT
              02 IS300 5MT

Comment

should you decide to swap an m20 into your 318, I can be of some help. The wiring harness is a direct plug in if you get an m20 from 90+, if it's earlier, there's one wire that needs to be run.
                you'll need the radiator (AND mounts and tank), andlthough i've heard of the m42 radiator being used on m20s
                the tranny is different but I think that the driveshafts are similar, I'd pick up an m20 one anyway
                power steering fluid resirvoir with lines, PS pump
                AC compressor and all lines should you choose to retain AC
                get a bigger diff, the small case ones will not hold
                tranny and mounts
                obviously you need the engine and ECU .. and engine mounts
                you have to fabricate an AFM mount (good time to go m30)

it's a very straight forward swap, unless you want to retain the check control panel above the rear view mirrors that is in m20 equipped cars... good luck, swapping wiring harnesses is a PITA

Comment

ok guys, I am going to change the oil right now. I will fix the leaks asap (probably this week since it is the last week of school for the semester). Thanks for all the replies. I will get everything checked out and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Comment

a little follow up to the m20 thing, the m42 radiator will work if you fabricate an upper hose.

Comment

Working...
                    X