Quick LSD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick LSD question

OK, so i'm not sure if my car has an LSD or not. I cannot read the tags, and have not had the time to jack one wheel up and spin it yet. However, today i got my eta stuck in the snow (little to much gas in reverse). Anyway, i opened the drivers door, and looked at the left rear wheel, and i watched it spin like crazy (stupid tires). Now, since i understand the right rear wheel to be the drive wheel on open diffs, and my left rear wheel was spinning, one of my family members suggested that this indicated me having an LSD. Now, i personally didnt see the right rear wheel spinning, but the said family member did. Anywho, since they were both spinning, i was wondering if this is an indication that i have an LSD. Next weekend i plan on jacking up one side of the rear, and trying to spin the tire with the E-Brake off. If understand correctly, If the tire does not spin, it is a good possibility that i have an LSD, correct? I would jack the entire rear up and see if they spin the same way, but i do no have the correct equipment for this unfortunatly. Thanks for your time guys.

The best way is to read the tags. Most of the other "tests" aren't always right.

One day in the water, I had a 1 tire burnout. Once. That would mean I have an open diff... but the other 10 million times I've had the tires going it has always been 2 tires :P

I think I have a lucky open diff.

Comment

What year and model car do you have?

Comment

1984 325e. LSD was optional.

Comment

You might have lucked out, have you had a chance to check anything yet?
          「 Terror from the Rising Sun 」

Comment

I lucked out big big time today. I actualy ran into the person i bought the car from, and he was the origional owner. He confirmed it has an LSD, he said he made sure to purchase that option when he bought the car back in 84

Comment

Working...
            X