Gas in the charcoal canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the charcoal canister

When the swap was done on my car (91 318is/M50), the charcoal canister was removed along with the purge valve. When the tank is filled, and the gas cap is on, fuel comes out of the vent hose in the engine bay during driving. Remove the gas cap and don't fill the tank, no problem except maybe some excessive gas smell.

I got tired of this nonsense, and the check engine light, so I bought and installed an m20 charcoal canister and e36 purge valve. All good on the CEL, but when I fill the tank and put the gas cap on, the charcoal canister gets soaked with gas, which pools up on the frame rail.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Something is blocked, check the lines coming into and out of the expansion tank in the rear passenger fender.

If I were you- I would remove the lines from the evap tank- blow air through both and see if it blows any junk out of the line that comes from the tank and/or charcoal canister.

Basically, your issues are like running without an expansion tank. If you didn't swap the car- verify that it is still installed. Gas needs to expand somewhere- otherwise you'll never be able to fully fill up 100% (let alone pretty dangerous IMHO)
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Thanks. I've blown out all the lines and now just waiting for some ice to melt so that I can take it for a test drive and validate success.

Comment

Working...
      X