Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for finding a good condition ZF 5-speed

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to check when looking for used ZF transmissions? In the last year, I've bought a couple ZF transmissions, and the "grimy" zf320 that went into my e36 with ~170k miles from a 98 M3 has worked quite well (the original zf320 in the car lasted 270k before 3rd gear got noisy). On the other hand, I bought and installed a similar mileage zf310 from a 95 M3 that went into my 24v e30 has been nothing but overly noisy since installing it (more than just single mass flywheel noise), and difficult to shift (tried recommended ATF at first, now Redline MTL which is more clunky and notchy). My friend's s52 car with a 310 is rather noisy as well, granted shifts a little smoother.

Are later zf320 units just generally better than the earlier 310's (aside from the need for the detent service)? Nowadays most of these transmissions are 20 years old with higher miles, so should I just find a low mileage unit, or are there things to check for aside from excessive output shaft play? Or is there a place that rebuilds the ZF's for a reasonable price? The only places I found were diffsonline and metricmechanic, but they wanted well over $3000 to refurbish an e36 ZF...that's moving into 6-speed swap territory.

I'm all ears for any pointers or suggestions. The car has an m20 clutch/flywheel combo with a 3.25 diff if it makes any difference.

Call Paul he can set you up
    Does your car have red brake calipers?
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
      Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to check when looking for used ZF transmissions? In the last year, I've bought a couple ZF transmissions, and the "grimy" zf320 that went into my e36 with ~170k miles from a 98 M3 has worked quite well (the original zf320 in the car lasted 270k before 3rd gear got noisy). On the other hand, I bought and installed a similar mileage zf310 from a 95 M3 that went into my 24v e30 has been nothing but overly noisy since installing it (more than just single mass flywheel noise), and difficult to shift (tried recommended ATF at first, now Redline MTL which is more clunky and notchy). My friend's s52 car with a 310 is rather noisy as well, granted shifts a little smoother.

Are later zf320 units just generally better than the earlier 310's (aside from the need for the detent service)? Nowadays most of these transmissions are 20 years old with higher miles, so should I just find a low mileage unit, or are there things to check for aside from excessive output shaft play? Or is there a place that rebuilds the ZF's for a reasonable price? The only places I found were diffsonline and metricmechanic, but they wanted well over $3000 to refurbish an e36 ZF...that's moving into 6-speed swap territory.

I'm all ears for any pointers or suggestions. The car has an m20 clutch/flywheel combo with a 3.25 diff if it makes any difference.

Gamble on a newer one = best bet. (still gambling)
      The newest ZFsg320 5 speed will be from a E46 330i or 328i, or e39 530i/528i

There is no way to rebuild a bmw transmission for cheap using real and new parts; the syncronizers are $~70-80 per unit (x6 needed) for a g260 and the bearing set cost over $1100 (over 10 roller, ball type, needle, double raced bearings)

At $3k I would wonder if all wear items are actually being replaced with new genuine bmw parts. Some items like the g265 front input shaft bearing are NLA and very strange and specific.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Thanks for the response. I ended up buyer a lower mileage zf320 out of a 99' e36 328 convertible, so hopefully its a good one.

Good info to know about the Getrags and that not all bearings are still available. Explains some of the $1500 "rebuilt" units.

Comment

At 3K you could buy one NEW from BMW

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Suggestions for finding a good condition ZF 5-speed

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            At 3K you could buy one NEW from BMW

No.

It’s a reman part for $3k or so and also there is a core charge
            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 07-01-2018, 10:48 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
              Thanks for the response. I ended up buyer a lower mileage zf320 out of a 99' e36 328 convertible, so hopefully its a good one.

Good info to know about the Getrags and that not all bearings are still available. Explains some of the $1500 "rebuilt" units.

Nla new bearings are still avail from old shop collections to some

Comment

Working...
              X