325iX Inconsistent Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325iX Inconsistent Starting

So I had a new alternator put in not too long ago and my mech says the starter is looking fine.
    However, my e30 tends not to start every now and then. I hear a click but no crank. Once, while stranded in a tight parking spot in New York, NY, I cleaned every part that connected between the car and the battery and I got a start. However, it happened again a week later and no cleaning helped anything. In the end, I've had to have it jump started in the middle of nowhere and it starts perfectly fine again. After that, the car will start up perfectly fine for the next few weeks, only to not start again at the worst possible time. I also believe that it might also happen often during humid weather [The second time it started raining a bit].

What could possibly be the issue here?

How's your battery? What voltage are you getting once the car is running?
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I just replaced the battery a few months ago. How do I check voltage? I'm still kinda learning all of this as we go.

Comment

If you have a battery charger you can just plug it in and it will tell you the voltage on the battery, or if you have a multimeter a good spot to check voltage at is right on the junction block on the passenger side of the firewall.
        1988 325ix

Comment

Working...
        X