Leak under the car on driver's side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak under the car on driver's side

Does anyone know what is directly over this underbody panel? There is a soot-like liquid that is leaking directly from it. Is this the fuel tank? The liquid does not smell like fuel.
    Attached Files

My car is gutted and there's nothing directly over this panel although I think there are brake lines the run through driver side rocker panel.

It is also possible that the leak is coming from somewhere else. If it is brown or red, it could be brake fluid or transmission. If your car has automatic transmission, the dip stick hole could leak and make the portion wet.

Or let's hope your floor pan is not rusted out and something spilled inside the car causing this leak. did you check if the carpet is dry?

Comment

That looks like the area right under the rear seat footwell, which is in front of the gas tank. There are no liquids in there; the liquid on there is likely oil from another location that's finding it's way over there, especially given that that's the lowest point of the panel. Brake lines are pretty close to that area, hopefully it's not that. It's likely a transmission leak (output seal or gear selector) that's blowing back there when you're at speed.

Comment

It's probably a manual tranny leak or a brake fluid leak. My brake fluid is lowering over several days, but I think it's because of the leaking brake fluid reservoir grommets. Tranny oil is definitely leaking, but the leak is much farther forward that that panel. Chasing fluid Gremlins sucks :(

Comment

Is your carpet wet in the back? Could be dirty water leaking from inside.

Comment

Working...
          X