E30 AC system recharge and how to use AC manifold gauges/vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 AC system recharge and how to use AC manifold gauges/vacuum

Spent quite a bit of time putting this together, hope you guys find it useful.

How to recharge AC system and use AC manifold gauges/vacuum:

Recharging your own Air conditioning system is one of those things that seems difficult, but really is rather simple as long as you have all the correct tools and follow the correct steps. I will as in depth as I can describe how to properly pull a vacuum on your car, how to check it
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Originally posted by noid View Post

http://www.rtsauto.com/how-to-rechar...d-pull-vacuum/

Well done, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Great write up! Since I came into Spring this year with all 3 of my old Bimmers blowing warm air from the A/C, I've been doing a lot of research. One thing I noticed is that you recommend turning the refrigerant can upside down while filling. Others say to leave the can upright while filling, because turning it upside down will feed in liquid (instead of gas) and damage the system. Any thoughts on the conflicting opinions?

Thanks, Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
        Great write up! Since I came into Spring this year with all 3 of my old Bimmers blowing warm air from the A/C, I've been doing a lot of research. One thing I noticed is that you recommend turning the refrigerant can upside down while filling. Others say to leave the can upright while filling, because turning it upside down will feed in liquid (instead of gas) and damage the system. Any thoughts on the conflicting opinions?

Thanks, Cory
        Hydrocarbons and CFC's are heavier then air, therefore if you want to get the most out, you will want your can upside down.

If your worried about slugging, start with the can upright, and end with can upside down.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Hydrocarbons and CFC's are heavier then air, therefore if you want to get the most out, you will want your can upside down.

If your worried about slugging, start with the can upright, and end with can upside down.
          Makes sense to me! Thanks. I added a can to my E12 last week, and rotated the can to 45 degrees until the site glass on the gauges started to bubble with liquid, then rotated it back up upright. Repeated that until the can was empty. Don't know if it made a difference, but I got the whole can in and the A/C blows cold now.

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Nice writeup - love your website.

Thanks dude.

Comment

exactly the write up I have been looking for. got two 86 325s to do this weekend.

Comment

I'd probably make a note of ambient temperature and the respective pressures you should be seeing.
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I played around with my vacuum pump on one of them last night and it has a leak. both high and low valves leak. I tried putting in new Schrader valves and still had leaks so I will have to put in new lines.

the other should be good because the ac just stopped 3 weeks ago because one of the lines split and purged the system at a gas station. we changed the split line quickly but had no vacuum pump so its just been closed and waiting

Comment

http://www.rtsauto.com/how-to-rechar...d-pull-vacuum/
                    You know the write-up is gonna be good when it starts off with a mini-chemistry lesson. Thanks OP, you're a legend.

Comment

Working...
                    X