No announcement yet.

DIY - Walbro 255 fuel pump retrofit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NeverEnough02 Honestly I cant remember off the top of my head, I think its 5/16th high pressure hose (or 8mm ID 13mm OD?) but 5/16 is at local auto shops. I forget the bigger size hose but just pop up that cover under the rear seat and see if it is written on the side or maybe take a measurement. sorry I cant help a bit more on that.

Comment

Originally posted by cWalk3r View Post
      I don't really understand the starvation issue... I've been using it for a couple months but haven't driven it hard.
      In normal use these might be fine, but I've burned through 3 of these junk (Walbro) pumps on my 1989 track car. With each pump, fuel starvation started on carousel right hand turns after about 3/8 a tank. Bought a complete assembly from Autozone for $190 and, while I still have starvation issues, haven't had to replace the pump every other time out on the track.

The Walbro might be good for many applications, but if you're tracking your car, even if you dremel out the support to be sure that the pump will sit lower, any starvation seems to kill these things very quickly. The other thing is using butt connectors to wire something in a fuel tank was never something I was comfortable with in the least.

My .02 and life experience.

Comment

Thanks. Once I pulled my cover off, I found that the large fuel line had recently been replaced. No need to worry about that one for a while!

Comment

Good post Cephas. ^^
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Can anyone else not see the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackthorn View Post
              Can anyone else not see the pics?
              I see them just fine.

Comment

Reviving an old thread since I want to clarify a couple of things:

1. In the stock pump, there's a beige type rubber coupler - is that just a straight forward coupler to keep the fuel pump in position and can be replaced by the rubber hose?
                2. For the wiring, my E30 is brown/red and the Walbro pump is black/red - assuming it's red>red and black>brown?

May well just pick up a spare E30 pump so I have a full spare. Always make me nervous playing with fuel systems a couple of days before a trip...
                JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

Lemme bring this thread back again.
                  1987 325is
                  I'm considering doing the single pump setup and was looking at the TRE340 as per https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ump-conversion

It's ironic hearing people talk about fuel starvation after conversions, because this is something I have dealt with forever with the completely stock configuration.
                  Anything under 3/8 tank (as accurately mentioned before in this thread) and I get cut out under hard corning (I don't remember off hand which direction).
                  First time it happened I was going pretty hard in the paint on the Dragon and it really caught me off guard.

I have a parts car with a good lift pump and I am going to swap that over for now but it seems like it would be nice to swap for one pump, just to simplify things.

I see people saying the TRE are crap and they have bad customer service, and some saying that the Wals are fragile, as well.

What is the general consensus, now, as to the best pump for a single pump conversion?

Comment

I went ahead and got the TRE. I'll update if need be

Comment

I have a TRE340 in my 2dr 24v/turbo car and it's been fine for 5+ years, but I just feel like TRE is (mostly?) knockoff stuff (knockoff siemens dekas, knockoff walbros, etc.)
                      Basically the only grounds I have for saying this is that the pump looks basically identical to the walbro (now TI Automotive) 255 I bought to replace the TRE.

The Walbro was ordered from highflowfuels/Quantum Fuel Systems along with some EV14s since their prices are good/numerous people vouched for them selling genuine stuff/they have an ebay store so shipping/border fees to Canada were easy and visible.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                        I have a TRE340 in my 2dr 24v/turbo car and it's been fine for 5+ years, but I just feel like TRE is (mostly?) knockoff stuff (knockoff siemens dekas, knockoff walbros, etc.)
                        Basically the only grounds I have for saying this is that the pump looks basically identical to the walbro (now TI Automotive) 255 I bought to replace the TRE.

The Walbro was ordered from highflowfuels/Quantum Fuel Systems along with some EV14s since their prices are good/numerous people vouched for them selling genuine stuff/they have an ebay store so shipping/border fees to Canada were easy and visible.
                        Thanks for the input.
                        I just got the TRE yesterday and I am positive it will be good enough.
                        Better than not running at all, that is for sure!

Comment

Working...
                        X