M5x and S5x over M20.. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    An engine swap in the IX is still very feasible imo. I'd rather do that than build the m20.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    You say that, but ive been working on mine since 2011...

Kershaw: RHD ITBs on a bone stock M20B25 will destroy any stock M5x swap. And its still lighter, without all the pain of a swap in an ix.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I'm anxiously waiting to see it done. I don't see me swapping in the near future, but I'd like to make it my goal. The m20 is great and i love mine, but there is no denying the awesomeness an N55 would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never driven ANY car with an aftermarket Turbo that feels well designed to me.

Give me a Turbo car that acts like an NA and we'll talk.

Comment

The obvious answer here (as has been discussed in these hallowed pages many times before) is the M30 swap rules them all :D

All the positives of the M20, around the same weight as an iron block M50 or M52, with more displacement, more torque and no timing belt to mess with :D

Engine can be had for $100.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
            The obvious answer here (as has been discussed in these hallowed pages many times before) is the M30 swap rules them all :D

All the positives of the M20, around the same weight as an iron block M50 or M52, with more displacement, more torque and no timing belt to mess with :D

I can get an M30 for next to nothing but I'm still not sold on that idea. All the added weight to mess with the cars balance. If anything I'd like to shed weight off the front and make it more nimble. I like a well balanced car not just a fast straight line car. Obviously everyone is different.
            1992 325i Convertible - "project"
            1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Kershaw: RHD ITBs on a bone stock M20B25 will destroy any stock M5x swap. And its still lighter, without all the pain of a swap in an ix.
              How much would ITBs be though? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap (secretly hoping you'll prove me wrong LOL)
              1992 325i Convertible - "project"
              1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
                How much would ITBs be though? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap (secretly hoping you'll prove me wrong LOL)

Ireland’s new ITB adapter looks legit, hoping it can be paired with some RB26 or GSXR ITB’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can get an M30 for next to nothing but I'm still not sold on that idea. All the added weight to mess with the cars balance. If anything I'd like to shed weight off the front and make it more nimble. I like a well balanced car not just a fast straight line car. Obviously everyone is different.
                  An M30 w/o AC weighs almost the same as an M20 w/ AC. Its a negligible difference, thus not even remotely turning your car into a "straight line car". With the proper mounts (Good & Tite), the engine sits further back as well, which helps retain stock balance.

Dollar for dollar, it's VERY hard to beat the value of an M30 swap, in addition to retaining the "vibe" of the car by staying single cam.

RHD ITBs - $1850
                  MS PNP - $800
                  Misc - $250ish

If your car was completely stock, you'd also want to be adding things like M50 injectors, a cam, headers, etc to take full advantage of a "bolt on" setup with stock bottom end.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

M50? No thanks.

M/S52 or newer? Absolutely.

The biggest motivators for me to go 24v on the "fun" car were the lack of a timing belt (as mentioned) and the ability to go to OBD2.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                      RHD ITBs - $1850
                      MS PNP - $800
                      Misc - $250ish

If your car was completely stock, you'd also want to be adding things like M50 injectors, a cam, headers, etc to take full advantage of a "bolt on" setup with stock bottom end.
                      yeah, you will make more power with more mods - but you don't really need to open up the head benefit from the RHD setup. It's a massive improvement on the "crab" manifold all by itself.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Only reason I'd advocate for swapping a 24v engine is if the original m20 is completely fubar (like the valvetrain on mine was) or you've acquired a car with no engine/trans. If the original m20b25 is present and healthy-ish, then frankly that's something to be thankful for these days. Sourcing everything for a 24v swap adds up fast, not mention finding a healthy engine, and then you've got to deal with the brake booster, the transmission/driveshaft, exhaust, etc.
                        My Feedback

Comment

You find an m30 for $100, and I'll gladly give you $200 for it. It's starting to get hard to find them. I'm rebuilding mine right now and could use some spare parts.

As said above, an m30 is about 50lbs heavier than an m20, so not much. It also sits closer to the firewall than an m20, further reducing the weight addition to the front. Plus all the late model e30 stuff bolts right up, including the stock e30 AC compressor.

I was DDing an m30b35 for several years with working AC and heat. It was awesome. I suppose the nose was a little heavier, but the added torque more than overcame that.
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

(as has been discussed in these hallowed pages many times before)
                            Wait... I remember now. Dang, the photobucket nuke did some damage, but the good stuff is still there.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                              You find an m30 for $100, and I'll gladly give you $200 for it. It's starting to get hard to find them. I'm rebuilding mine right now and could use some spare parts.

As said above, an m30 is about 50lbs heavier than an m20, so not much. It also sits closer to the firewall than an m20, further reducing the weight addition to the front. Plus all the late model e30 stuff bolts right up, including the stock e30 AC compressor.

I was DDing an m30b35 for several years with working AC and heat. It was awesome. I suppose the nose was a little heavier, but the added torque more than overcame that.
                              I disagree somewhat - 50lbs is noticeable. the engine may be further back, but it's also longer. I don't see how it could possibly match the same balance - and it's not going to be even close to something with an even lighter engine (M42, N52, M54, etc).

M30 is mostly cool because it's old-school and you can (or could) get them dirt cheap.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I disagree somewhat - 50lbs is noticeable. the engine may be further back, but it's also longer. I don't see how it could possibly match the same balance - and it's not going to be even close to something with an even lighter engine (M42, N52, M54, etc).

M30 is mostly cool because it's old-school and you can (or could) get them dirt cheap.
                                True, I would say that it's noticeably heavier and it obviously messes with weight distribution. An m/s/n5x would be lighter and more balanced. Then again, adding a tool box in the trunk or a passenger also noticeably messes with weight distribution. I guess it depends on what you're using the car for.
                                sigpic
                                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                                X