No announcement yet.

lets settle the single vs 2 stage paint debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you can do that and it will likely look fine. Even if the car was meant to be clear coated you can sand off peeling clear and make the color coat look decent (of course this is relevant--decent is compared to peeling clear, not a new car).
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Dave I say go for it. Youre not gonna make it any worse than it is now

Comment

Im doing this right now and it actually looks great.

The problem is not in putting clear on its very thin and drys evenly, its perfect for spray paint.
        It looks out standing too.

Ill have some pretty cool examples of 1 stage zinno, 2 stage zinno respray and how it fades, and then 2 stage zinno re cleared in pictures very soon.

whats amazing about this is 2 stage zinno looks totally different than 1 stage zinno with age because the clear is whats aging and it becomes yellow, turning the color to orange. ( and below to dull red)

whereas 1 stage zinno fades and lets more of the white primer behind it show through becoming pink

however, if you scrape the bad clearcoat off a 2 stage and reclear it it suddenly matches perfectly again.

Ill show you what I mean shortly.
        the problem is getting the old stuff off and leaving the base coat even. defenintely went down to the metal in spots.

Comment

I'm getting my AWII car repainted this summer, and I want the shop to paint it like original. Anyone know how many coats of paint I should ask for? I want to be able to polish the single-stage paint for many years w/o rubbing thru to the primer.
          R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
          └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Why do you want it like the original? The original is 30yr old technology.

Forget single stage, go a modern 2 pack clear over base. If painted well and cured well it will last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Why do you want it like the original? The original is 30yr old technology.

Forget single stage, go a modern 2 pack clear over base. If painted well and cured well it will last forever.

That's what the guy at the body shop recommended. I will go with clear.

Was just unsure if it would look way too glossy and not like OEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
              └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                That's what the guy at the body shop recommended. I will go with clear.

Was just unsure if it would look way too glossy and not like OEM

At this point, no one even remembers what they looked like brand new.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I've always heard single stage can be polished to a deeper shine, better for "show" cars, while a 2 stage paint is less shiny but more durable.
                  1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Single stage just means the base color is mixed with 2 part poly clear rather than being applied in two separate passes, base then clear. For show car shine depth I've seen bases (typically with crystal pigments or metal flake) then candied with a base or complimenting pigment clear, then re-cleared with pure 2 part poly. All stages being wet sanded in between unless striped, flaked, or crystal. In those layers it's usually cleared over at 90% cure then wet-sanded before additional layers

...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Working...
                    X