Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE HELP diagnose another no-start issue (with video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE HELP diagnose another no-start issue (with video)

Hey Guys!

I'll try to keep to short: Drove from NJ to PA and back about 2 months ago, parked it, and went out a week later to find that it wouldn't fire. The engine seems to turn over, but honestly the sound coming from the engine as I turn the key is something that I've never heard before. I just need a little help diagnosing what may be the problem. PLEASE WATCH THE 30-SECOND VIDEO FROM FLICKR:

https://flic.kr/p/ZB56my

Here's what I've done so far to try and fix the issue:
    -New Crankshaft position sensor
    -New spark plugs
    -Tested for spark (all 4 wires delivered spark)
    -Sprayed ether into air intake.
    -Jump start (battery seems fine)
    -New Fuel filter (actually did this a few weeks before the non-start issue).

I suspect that this is fuel-delivery related, but I really don't know enough about the M42 engine yet to make that determination. (Although, if fuel was the problem, wouldn’t spraying starter fluid into the intake get it to come to life, even if only briefly?)

Does the sound the engine is making sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I invest in a multimeter and/or a fuel pressure gauge?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Ben
    Last edited by BHT2109; 10-22-2017, 09:50 AM. Reason: Concision

When you say you sprayed ether into the intake, where specifically did you spray it?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I undid the air filter housing, then sprayed into the intake tube toward the engine (obviously) for a few seconds. Why? Should I try it directly into the throttle?

Comment

If you removed the filter box and the air flow meter, then the no-start might also be due to the fact that there is no air meter The car can run without it, but very poorly, so that might have been an added factor.

Do you have a voltmeter? There are a couple of things you can test to see if the fuel system is getting power.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
        X