School me on the different stock M20B25 pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on the different stock M20B25 pistons

I read that theres a "short skirt" version so how many different versions is there?

To make this simple, lets focus just on the B25 piston that matches the 885 head, not the earlier eta or B23 style pistons because I know theres a lot of variants there too
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

As far as I know there are two, short and long skirts. The long skirt ones were on the early model b25's over in Europe and were higher compression than the short skirt ones.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

yeah long and short skirt some are profiled more than others, i think KS brand are shorter and mahle longer

for best counterweight clearance the KS on the right are best iirc

Last edited by digger; 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Here you go. GL parameter is skirt length.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
        2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          As far as I know there are two, short and long skirts. The long skirt ones were on the early model b25's over in Europe and were higher compression than the short skirt ones.
          you think that includes the early model b25's (only the 1987 model year) we got here too?

My guess is no for emissions reasons. But still! I have a 1987! :grin:

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            you think that includes the early model b25's (only the 1987 model year) we got here too?

No I looked it up on RealOEM and the 87 got the later model pistons.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I read that theres a "short skirt" version so how many different versions is there?

To make this simple, lets focus just on the B25 piston that matches the 885 head, not the earlier eta or B23 style pistons because I know theres a lot of variants there too
              I've taken apart a few i motors. One was a 1987 and had the long skirt KS pistons. All the others were the later weight improved short skirt. AFAIK all USA cat motors were 8.8:1.

Comment

there are several types about 4 that i can picture in my head
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post

Do you have a factory installed cat? You can also check the block stamp for a "K' The non cat cars had the higher compression ratios.

Comment

Working...
                  X