Lightweight flywheel opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightweight flywheel opinions

For those running the lightweight flywheels, how do you like them compared to stock?

Love em. Although it's not a power adder per se, it does allow the engine to rev up and down faster and this means big fun on performance enginesm especially 4 cylinders like the S14. The lighter you go, the easier it is to stall though so you may not want to go too light (under 10 lbs) on a street car. I would probably wait until I had to drop the trans for something before changing the flywheel out or sending it out to get lightened.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

doing it to every e30 i will ever own. (lightened and balanced OEM flywheel...not an alloy)

i opted to do it in the vert, and got it to just below 12lbs with the step cut, (here)
      did all the seals, short shift (z3), did the driveline too....thing is tight, and responsive.

at 1st i felt a better clutch response, and now ive grown to it, but when i get in my red car, i definitely feel it.

and dropping rotational weight is very nice, easy to do, and highly recommended.
      3 pedal club
      200,k+ club
      cabrio club
      port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

The UUC is a nice unit but I would stick with the 240mm. You can get the mega huge 280mm V12 UUC one but the replacement clutches are insane. I made the mistake of buying one second hand without pricing the clutch kit out first. $600ish was the cheapest I could find!

Comment

Yea I can definitely vouch for good feedback from the lighter FW. I shaved down my m20 wheel 6mm, I think it was 12lbs when I stuck it back in the touring.

It is a finer input at lower rev's like idanity says, but that takes no time to get used to and the rev-matching alone makes the funfactor worth it!

I chose to lighten a stock m20 wheel for a couple reasons; cost and, material. Something about aluminum lynch pins in my drive-line that doesn't sound right..
          ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Originally posted by idanity View Post
            doing it to every e30 i will ever own. (lightened and balanced OEM flywheel...not an alloy)

i opted to do it in the vert, and got it to just below 12lbs with the step cut, (here)
            did all the seals, short shift (z3), did the driveline too....thing is tight, and responsive.

at 1st i felt a better clutch response, and now ive grown to it, but when i get in my red car, i definitely feel it.

and dropping rotational weight is very nice, easy to do, and highly recommended.

How much did the machine work cost?

Comment

8lb jb in my m20 and love it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                How much did the machine work cost?
                a local shop which is family owned, and does many a pro3, did it for $200.oo

i could get it cheaper, possibly half that, but i didn't shop around, and went with a local guru, who did the work himself..takes joy in it...

had to replace a pin, and balanced it nicely.. i cant say enough good things, place is accurate engines...i don't think they even have a web page. (kirkland, wa)

i balanced the alloy vs. the OEM steel lightened, and i think steel oem is the way to go for a streetable car...much more longevity, durability in it.

although, i admit i dont have any experience with the alloys, so i cant give anythiing more then my own opinion.
                3 pedal club
                200,k+ club
                cabrio club

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. If I'm not mistaken, the dual mass V8 flywheel can't be lightened, so I'm comparing a stock DM flywheel vs. a JB Racing or similar product. Since I'm not sure on which tranny I'll be going with, I will be sticking with the 240MM set-up.

Comment

The dual mass will be more comfortable buy I've got no complaints with my jb one. Little chatter when reversing or with the AC on but besides that no idle issues or driving problems. You get used to it and can manipulate it just as easy as a normal flywheel and clutch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by idanity View Post
                      a local shop which is family owned, and does many a pro3, did it for $200.oo...
                      If Accurate is step-cutting an OEM flywheel, and *then* balancing it in a PRO3 car, he's breaking the rules:

"A BMW OEM or dimensionally equivalent steel flywheel must be used. Any clutch disc and or all- steel pressure plate of the stock diameter may be used provided they bolt directly to an unmodified stock flywheel. Multiple disk clutches are prohibited. Lightening of the flywheel and pressure plate beyond the minimum for balancing purposes is prohibited."

-Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
                        If Accurate is step-cutting an OEM flywheel, and *then* balancing it in a PRO3 car, he's breaking the rules:

"A BMW OEM or dimensionally equivalent steel flywheel must be used. Any clutch disc and or all- steel pressure plate of the stock diameter may be used provided they bolt directly to an unmodified stock flywheel. Multiple disk clutches are prohibited. Lightening of the flywheel and pressure plate beyond the minimum for balancing purposes is prohibited."

-Bruce

this was done for my cabrio...NOT a pro 3 car.
                        and i requested it special..but thanks for pointing that out...
                        im ONLY implying that they work on PR03 cars, projects, and im sure they all pass spec test
                        3 pedal club
                        200,k+ club
                        cabrio club

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Working...
                        X