gouges in M62 cyl walls (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gouges in M62 cyl walls (pics)

So a buddy and I just took the heads off of his M62, and there are significant gouges in the walls of all the cylinders, as if particulates got caught between the piston and cyl wall and got dragged back and forth. These gouges are small and thin, but deep enough to be easily felt with your finger.

Having never taken apart an aluminum block engine before, is this common, or rare and catastrophic? Has anyone else seen this?

It may be of worthy note that the reason this motor is coming apart in the first place is catastrophic failure of the t-chain and rails, including aluminum shavings everywhere and plastic chunks evenly distributed in the engine. The heads were removed to check for valve slap (of which there was none).

Here are some pics of the damage.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by iamsam; 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM.

Wow... judging from the pictures, I'd say pieces of the catastrophic failure made their way into the cylinders, causing the gouging. The tops of the pistons show damage as well, in the last couple of pictures. I don't know how comfortable I'd be in that motor now. The gouges look big enough to cause compression issues and who knows what else has been affected... ie bearings, oil pump/passages, etc. Might be time to search for a replacement for that bottom end...

Garey

Comment

Coffee table that block.

It's done.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Bollocks to you all...

Bore that shit out, drop in some wet sleeves and boost the fuck out of that bitch.

Fucking coffee table....
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
          Wow... judging from the pictures, I'd say pieces of the catastrophic failure made their way into the cylinders, causing the gouging. The tops of the pistons show damage as well, in the last couple of pictures. I don't know how comfortable I'd be in that motor now. The gouges look big enough to cause compression issues and who knows what else has been affected... ie bearings, oil pump/passages, etc. Might be time to search for a replacement for that bottom end...

Garey
          Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
          Coffee table that block.

It's done.
          yeah this is my diagnosis as well.

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
          Bollocks to you all...

Bore that shit out, drop in some wet sleeves and boost the fuck out of that bitch.

Fucking coffee table....
          ha ha and how much will that cost? more than an S62?

Comment

looks like all the m60/m62 hybriders will get a coffee table when its all done, win/win situation

Comment

Originally posted by robiniscool View Post
              looks like all the m60/m62 hybriders will get a coffee table when its all done, win/win situation
              problem is, the block that is the subject of this thread was the one intended not to be the coffee table in this hybrid build...

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                Coffee table that block.

It's done.
                :(

Well then, I will begin the search for a new M62.

The good news though is that 4.4L coffee table will be a lot cooler than a plain old 4.0L coffee table!...

Comment

Originally posted by BlindWolf187 View Post
                  :(

Well then, I will begin the search for a new M62.

The good news though is that 4.4L coffee table will be a lot cooler than a plain old 4.0L coffee table!...

lol that just gave me an idea. What if you cleaned the engine and rebuilt it. But not to run. weld the pistons into the cylinders then as a party novelty fill them up with alcohol. Throw some ice/dry ice inside the block to keep everything cool and, vola awesome chilled alcohol despenser.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X