No announcement yet.

3.7 Trillion over the last 5 years in Welfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People on public assistance are pretty frugal.

You heartless bitches.
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

A friend of mine had both parents die when he was 19. He moved in with his sister to save up for college and his spleen exploded one night. I believe rupture is the technical term, something about pissing black because his kidneys were filtering all the blood cells out of his blood. He passed out in the bathroom and woke up in a hospital operating table his sis had taken him too.

'Welfare' gave them a chance when they would have been out on the street otherwise. Now he is a biology professor~ horay! The system works! Now his much higher salary will be paying back more than he cost in taxes! We all win!

But those are not the stories you hear on fox news....

From a random message board post:
      That's the Republican wet-dream, right? Not focusing on defense-spending, or war appropriations bills, or Social Security, or Medicare, or $100 billion per year in corporate welfare. The meme is blaming "the takers." So if you can get people to believe that Medicaid & Pell Grants & WIC checks & energy-assistance for heating homes is all just "welfare" for the lazy & indolent, then you can whip up the anger of anyone who doesn't consider themselves as such and create an environment of class-warfare that leaves the rich and well-connected to continue pillaging public coffers for the real big-ticket items. And people seem to love this scam because they fall for it again... and again... and again...
      I find these department of commerce statistics that say 4.1% of Americans are on 'welfare', about 12.8 million. In addition to that we have about 47 million on food stamps and 6 million on unemployment.

Then I see and article titled: "Great: More Americans on Welfare Than Working Full Time"

To me at least 'welfare' means you are getting a rent check from uncle sam. Food stamps and reduced price lunch aimed at children seems like a interesting way to count those dollars as unnecessary. Who else is getting a rent check from uncle sam? I can sleep at night if that money is going to children, elderly, or people on hard times. I cant sleep at night if that money is going to a defense contractor we could have gone without, instead of kids and elderly. Sure we will have to deal with some folks gaming the system and stealing when they shouldn't, but so does our military, and we should do everything we can to keep that number as low as possible while also not forgetting what the mission was in the beginning: to help the damned kids.

Comment

^ exactly.

If it weren't for some sort of fiduciary assistance, when the company I was working for went out of business and I was looking for work and trying to pay student loans, I wouldn't have been able to keep a roof over my family's head. We made it by on a very humble $30 a week in groceries from food stamps, and only a small amount of unemployment. Now I've gone right back to paying into the system, because I was able to live until I found more work, and the only reason I regret paying into it is the seriously misplaced fundamentals of our government.

A majority of people on food stamps do have jobs and work, but because of our unequivocal minimum wage and large corporate centric growth system, the large population of nontechnically-skilled or inexperienced workers can mostly only find jobs with larger corporations that are able to hire these types of workers that smaller businesses cannot take risks with.

Comment

The Pentagon has "misplaced" $8.5 trillion since 1996....all that cash unaccounted for....

And let's talk about the habit of for-profit companies offsetting their employee costs onto the taxpayers by paying so little and offering so few hours they need to actively instruct their employees to seek public assistance. Working, but still on a form of assistance!

Meanwhile the DOW is at record highs....week after week.

In the '80s', my dad made $31,000/yr as a mechanic at Delta Airlines. That would be roughly equivalent to nearly $100K now. He got a nice pension, great medical, and flight privileges, too. CEO pay was not outrageous at the time either.

Something has changed in the way companies think of their workers. When Delta suffered a loss, back in the '80's recession, the top officers took a 25% pay cut, but didn't downsize or lay anyone off. Think that would happen now?

No. Companies that need to look better for the 4th qtr, decide to go for the short term fix, and suddenly thousands are out of work, like B of A recently.

According to MIT, the Living Wage Calculator states a single parent in the cheapest state in America in which to live would need to make $21/hr to provide for basic needs.

If the minimum wage had kept up with inflation, it would be nearly $20/hr.

Lastly, even if Walmart, the nation's largest single employer, were to suddenly pay $20/hr to the employees making minimum wage now, it would still profit in the billions, while stimulating the economy by having workers who are both able to afford to buy things and who no longer need public assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
            3.7 Trillion over the last 5 years in Welfare
            Thank you for finally bringing some attention to the problem of corporate welfare.

Comment

Here is some welfare for you clowns:

NASA will complete a $350 million structure to test rocket engines at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi early this year. Then, it plans to mothball the 300- foot-high, steel-frame tower for the f…

I'd rather some poor kids get a nutritious lunch.
              2011 1M Alpine white/black
              1996 Civic white/black
              1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

"the only moral welfare is my welfare"

Comment

Working...
                X