Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unitt01 View Post
    Final update :) got my key finally ! lol

And as you can see they crossed off another part # and wrote down 1900875 which in realoem converts it to part # 51211900875.. anyways i'm really happy I got it and just a heads up to anyone who happens to go to the dealer and order their key with a vin# MAKE SURE YOU/THEY ORDER THE GENERAL KEY AND NOT STANDARD !
    I need to order one of these for my car.

Is there a generic trunk lock setup that I can pin to match the key? Im worried I have to buy the trunk lock from the dealership too and that plus the key can get pretty expensive for what Im getting back. The key I dont mind.

Also, pass side lock feels a little stiff when unlocking/locking the doors. Is there something I can spray in there to loosen er up?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

My key fell apart somehow and I'm not 100% how to reassemble it...

Do I slide the key further trough the hole as shown in the picture below or is there another way to reassemble everything?

Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

That doesn’t look repairable to me. You will need to order a new key. Important you have at least one functioning OEM steel key. Most US aftermarket keys are brass and cut from worn keys to begin with. You risk breaking them in the lock

Good luck
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Is there a generic trunk lock setup that I can pin to match the key? Im worried I have to buy the trunk lock from the dealership too and that plus the key can get pretty expensive for what Im getting back. The key I dont mind.

Also, pass side lock feels a little stiff when unlocking/locking the doors. Is there something I can spray in there to loosen er up?
          any tips here?
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            any tips here?

I think BMW sells a rebuild kit for all the lock cylinders would just have to find the part # on Realoem. As for the sticky lock. Get some permatex graphite grease. To help loosen it up put a couple squirts in the key hole of the lock and then run the key in and out a couple time and also lock and unlock it. Should help free things up.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

So here we are again....

This ended in disaster with the Aluminum Monster, so I’m wondering if I should yank the current fubar trunk lock and disassemble it to get to correct sequence. Only problem is I can’t really get my trunk open right now... not sure if I should drill it out or ...?...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Nice walet. Source?
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Yo @2man sorry I missed your posts. Yes trunk lock rebuild kits exist. I’ve done a couple of them without issues.

It’s pretty easy to carefully disassemble the existing cylinder and get the tumbler combinations you need. Then just use the same numbered tumblers in the new cylinder

Drop me a PM maybe I can assist

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I recently bought an MTECH 2 convertible and it came with the valet key and a copy of that key. Locks were stuck in double lock position all unlocked.

Thanks to all of the info here, I ordered a vin matched illuminated key for my car and it works excellent on the passenger door and trunk. Total price was $87 with 6.5% sales tax. The blank was $63. I received it in 3 business days. It spins the drivers lock so I am guessing the arm broke off in there. I will pull the panel to take a look soon enough.

The new key is not working in the ignition either. I requested current price on the coded ignition tumbler today, I will keep you all posted on the price.

Getting this car to where it should be key wise is quite nice!

Comment

Did you pick up one of the 771s that sold on BaT last month?

You may be better off buying a brand new full lock set.. comes with a full set of new keys

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        Did you pick up one of the 771s that sold on BaT last month?

You may be better off buying a brand new full lock set.. comes with a full set of new keys
                        Yes, I bought the silver one with 89k miles.

Comment

Reviving an old thread for my first post on the forum.. be nice to me. No don't, I can take it.

Just bought an 87 325IS and cannot get the trunk to lock. I have two plastic (no light) keys with "S"s on them (one in an original BMW leather wallet, heard they're worth at least $400, I am willing to sell).

Both of my keys double lock the driver door, work on passenger door, glove box, and ignition. Neither will turn the trunk lock at all.

Was my trunk lock replaced and the key lost? Can I rebuild the trunk lock to match my 2 keys that work elsewhere?

Comment

How does the dead-bolt work?

I have my illuminated key. When I put it in the driver side door, I need to turn it all the way to the right. I feel some resistance, then I turn it even further, which I feel the dead-bolt engage.

However, I cannot pull out the key from that spot (turning the furthest to the right spot), I need to turn it back to the middle to take the key out. Is that normal? Or should I be able to pull the key out from the furthest turn/dead-bolt spot?

Comment

Does anyone know if the triangular wallet key is still available? I ordered a set of all 4 keys, the other 3 showed up right away but the wallet key didn't a week later and the dealer wants to cancel the order even though they said it didn't show up as NLA in their system.
                              e30sport.net
                              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                                Does anyone know if the triangular wallet key is still available? I ordered a set of all 4 keys, the other 3 showed up right away but the wallet key didn't a week later and the dealer wants to cancel the order even though they said it didn't show up as NLA in their system.
                                Just FYI it is still available... the dealer I was working with just apparently didnt want to order it.
                                e30sport.net
                                '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                                '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                                '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
                                X