• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 325IX, Lowered on GC, Charlotte, NC

FOR SALE (EDIT: imgur link repaired)

1988 BMW 325IX
    5 Speed, Power Everything
    About 84k miles on powertrain, about 300k on Chassis

More pics here (for some reason they uploaded all out of order, my apologies):

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like gearheadsteve11.

PROS

91' IX Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case, installed about 24k miles ago, currently 84k original miles.
    Installed at the same time
    - Timing belt, water pump, tune up, trans fluid, t-case fluid, diff fluid, all synthetic
    - clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing
    - Ground Control E30 IX coilovers, currently lowered 1 1/4" front, 1" rear
    - Koni fully adjustable front struts w/ external bump stops about 24k miles
    - Bilstien 1/2 adjustable HD rear shocks w/new top hats/bushings, about 24k miles
    - Eibach front and rear springs (If memory serves, they are 500# front, and 600# rear)
    - E30 M3 OEM Solid rubber front control arm bushings
    Kosie K1 wheels et45 (proper IX offset) 16" - 30% tread left
    Original 15" BBS Basketweaves, and all center caps (Winter wheel detail)
    4.10 Front and rear Differentials from an Automatic IX
    Mark D 91 octane chip
    Cryogenically sealed brake rotors
    Stop Tech front brake pads - less than 1k miles
    Volvo Turbo front lip (bad a$$)
    Custom mud flaps (Mounted well, and look cool)
    Barrecrafter roof rack/bike rack (Made in USA!)
    - ski/snowboard rack
    - bike front wheel attachment
    US Ellipsoid head lights w/6k HID analog bulbs, (Left side Cracked, and repaired)
    NO front CV shaft issues (Despite all the fluff on the forums)
    MKV VW Golf/Rabbit cloth front seats
    Bav Auto weighted shift knob (Very nice)
    Spare Left and Right front CV Shafts
    Spare Left and Right front strut mounts, minimal rust
    Spare Steering rack (probably only good for a core)
    Transfer Case Passes "Jack Test"
    No serious rust on underbody or struts
    Trunk is clean and dry
    5k mile Mobile1 Synthetic oil changes
    Tune up less than 3k miles ago
    - plugs, cap, rotor, wires, ICV, Ignition Coil, valve adjustment, clutch master cylinder

CONS

NO A/C
    NO P/S
    Branded Title
    Body has dents
    Clear coat is in rough shape

I've dreaded this day for an Age. It's time for my IX to go to a new home. I will try to be as honest and transparent with this post as possible.

I would like to start by saying that all the work and maintenance was performed by me. I am 10 year seasoned heavy equipment mechanic.
    I bought this car in 2008 in Spokane, WA as a daily driver, and for its's killer snow machine capabilities. I moved to Charlotte, NC
    in 2010. I then got a job with a company vehicle, and the car was only used after work and on the weekends. I found that the T-Case failed
    the "jack test", And I was fortunate enough to track down a low milage Engine, trans, and t-case from a 91' IX with about 60K original miles out of
    Colorado that had been rolled on a back road. The only engine damage was a broken plastic cooling fan blade. I also got an extra set of front
    CV shafts, and front struts from the same car. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, idler, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and wires. I also changed
    all the fluids for the diffs, t-case, and trans with synthetic oil. At the same time I installed a Ground Control coil over kit produced specifically
    for the IX, with Koni front adjustable struts, and Bilstien HD rears. The ride is great, and well planted. It was a night and day difference in
    improved handling.I lowered it an inch and a quarter up front, and an inch in the rear, just to get rid of the huge wheel gap in the fenders. I have
    had NO ISSUEs with wearing out front CV shafts, as so many people have speculated would be the case. I DID go through about 4 passenger side inner CV
    boots after loweringt the car. I finally figured out that the heat from the exaust was drying out the boot and allowing it to fail. I wrapped the lower
    exhaust tube with exhaust wrap, and have not had any more issues (about 10k miles). I also replaced the front lower control arm bushings with OEM E30
    M3 solid rubber bushings, and T-case-to-driveshaft Guibo.

I installed all these parts, got the car back in running order, and a month later got caught in a severe thunderstorm while out running errends. We had
    half dollar size hail for about 15 minutes. I was in the store at the time, and could only watch as it beat the crap out of my car (and everyone else's
    in the parking lot, including my wife's Subaru, which suffered 2 small dents in the roof). The IX took a beating. The hood was peppered with small dents,
    and the clear coat on the roof and trunk was severely damaged. I didn't do anything about it. I've been driving it that way since. It has been a
    secondary car since then, but has been driven regulary every week. We currently have a Golf TDI, and recently a late model E61 Wagon. There is no room
    in the garage, and the IX is not being driven as often as it needs. I have all the service records from the previous owner in Colorodo, and Washington. I
    also have a BMW Electrical Troubleshooting guide specifically for the IX. The title is rebuilt from Colorado. The PO there hit some ice and hit a guard
    rail on the driver's side. There is Picture of this damage in the imagur pics. Shortly after all the engine swapping was done, the powersteering rack
    end seals started leaking, bad. I didn't have the time to swap in a new rack, so I pulled the PS pump belt, and have been driving it that way since.
    Unfortunately, when I did the engine swap I must have loosenend something up in the A/C system, because I had Cold A/C before the swap and no refrigerant
    pressure after the swap. All the oddball parts I have will go with the car, as well as both sets of wheels. The Title is in my name in North Carolina.

$4000 OBO

Please let me know if you have any serious questions. PM me if you are interested.

-Steve-
    Last edited by gearheadsteve11; 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM.

Bump!

Comment

PM'd.

Comment

To the TOP

Comment

Back to the top!

Comment

Still for sale! I need room in the Garage, hit me up! I will be posting this on facebook by the end of the day as well.

Comment

Price is OBO.

Comment

Lowered Price: $4000

Comment

what is reason for branded title?

Comment

The title is rebuilt from Colorado. The PO there hit some ice and hit a guard
                    rail on the driver's side. There is Picture of this damage in the imagur pics. From what I can tell, that was around 2001.

You can see it here:

Comment

Bump for a great guy and a great condition car.

Comment

Back to the top, this ol' girl needs a new home!

Comment

So much want. I would be extremely surprised if this hasn't sold yet.

Comment

Bump for a solid looking deal with a well documented add! GLWS
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Working...
                            X