Seat mounting styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat mounting styles

I just bought a Sparco Evo 2 (fit me the best...)

What's the best mounting style? I'll get a set or Recaro sliders, but then I need to decided between the VAC-style floor adapter style or the Planted-style of mount.

What are the pro's and con's of each?

What are your goals for the car? Sliders are generally frowned upon unless it's mainly a street car. Fixed side mounts and VAC style floor mounts allow you to set up the seat where you need it, and would arguably be the safest (and theoretically would be FIA approved). Some people do side mounts bolted directly to the floor pans.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The seat will be for track and occasional DD use. Retain 3 point seat belt.

I share the car at the track with my son who is slightly shorter and needs the adjustability, otherwise I would skip the sliders and bolt straight to the floor.

I'm not sure what the functional difference between the Planted mount and the VAC floor adapters. Why would I choose one over the other?
      Attached Files

Comment

With sliders, you would not need the more expensive VAC mounts. The reason they have so many holes is to mount a side mount directly to them, and all the holes are your adjustment points.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

VAC mounts are far more flexible because of the number of mounting holes and since you have threads it is much easier than the Planted base where you need a nut from the bottom side. Further, the mounting holes to the body of the car of the Planted mounts are covered and it is difficult to put the proper torque when mounting them. To me there is no question that the VAC mounts are better. I have used both types in the past.

Comment

Thanks, Spec. That's the insight I was hoping for.

Comment

Steve, height as well. The VAC mounts sit lower than the Planted.
              Kevin Doyle
              KD Motorsports
              KD.Motorsports@yahoo.com
              9175 Willows Rd NE
              Redmond, WA 98052
              (425)556-9076

Comment

I have Sparco Evo 2's in my car and made my own mounts out of factory sliders I removed from comfort seats. Then I designed my own sides to fit my seats out of 3.5mm thick sheet steel which a friend of mine then TIG welded to the sliders for me. I attached my seat belts and Schroth rally 4 harness belts to the factory 3 point locations.
                Feels very solid and able to slide forward and back with no issues yet since 2013.

hoveringuy, if you would like to see what I did send me a PM.

Comment

I finally got all of my stuff together: Evo 2 seat, VAC floor mounts, Recaro sliders.

I think I have it figured-out, except the floor mount seems to be calibrated in 1/2" increments while the sliders are in metric, so the holes in the sliders don't line up with any of the bores on the floor mount. Is it normal to need to drill additional holes in the slider to give them English dimensions?

Comment

After much fitting, trial and error, I found that the best solution for me was stock sliders and massive Lee adapters.

It's way easier to bolt in and out of the car, weighs almost 5lbs less than floor adapters with Recaro sliders, and fits nicely. It still rubs on the center console.

I may have them installed backwards, but I like the seat raked back just a bit. I found that it sat too flat the other way around.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X