New to E30 325is What OIL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to E30 325is What OIL?

I have searched and received mixed messages on which oil to use for my next oil change. It is an 87 325is. thanks Matt

I'd recommend Mobil1 5W30, change it every 5000mi and live happily ever after. One could even make the case for 0W30, but that... hasn't been time tested enough.

Comment

No, 5-30 and 0-30 are WAY too light for these engines. Use the Mobil1 15w-50, your engine will be much happier on that.

Comment

ive had two mechanics recommend 20w50 for here in south GA. its working great for me, errr my motor.
        www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

thanks

Thanks i will give 15w 50 a try

Comment

Uh? Why would you want W50 on an M20? This is not an S54 and 15/20W will do you no favours on startup, especially in NY, which is not FL. But, to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
              Uh? Why would you want W50 on an M20? This is not an S54 and 15/20W will do you no favours on startup, especially in NY, which is not FL. But, to each their own.
              Because m20s are older engines with larger tolerances than newer engines. Even the S54 recommends special Mobil1 5w-60 I believe. Most new engines from Ford, Honda, etc want 5w30 or even 5w20, but they are built different than our older motors. Especially in warmer climates, you'll want a thicker oil to protect the engine. Using oil that is too thin will accelerate and increase wear.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlightbw View Post
                ive had two mechanics recommend 20w50 for here in south GA. its working great for me, errr my motor.
                +1 for summer

For you I'd go 10w40 or 30 for winter, but of course I'm not really well versed on NY winters.........

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
                When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
                "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
                Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                  Because m20s are older engines with larger tolerances than newer engines. Even the S54 recommends special Mobil1 5w-60 I believe. Most new engines from Ford, Honda, etc want 5w30 or even 5w20, but they are built different than our older motors. Especially in warmer climates, you'll want a thicker oil to protect the engine. Using oil that is too thin will accelerate and increase wear.
                  Castrol TWS Motorsport, 10W60, yes. But the M52/M54/N5x all use 5W30 - so did the S54, for some time - and I'm not really sure that the M20 has tolerances that are that much higher than the M50s. Of course, it depends on how many miles are on the engine, etc., but I don't know if I'd trade the greater initial wear for the possible greater wear while operating. Of course, in FL/TX/AZ it may be somewhat different.

Comment

Agreed on the use of 5W-30 for E36 and up generations.

Don't waste your money on synthetic for an M20 though. Non-synthetic Castrol 10W-30 or 20W-50 should be sufficient.

Comment

15W40 Rotella here. :)

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Rotella T FTW
                        Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Ugh, so much misinfo. And it really scares me, because a lot of people are running these stupid oils in E30s and ruining the motors.

10W-40 for cold weather (like less than 50F)
                          20W-50 for warm weather (above 50F)

This is as per all BMW manuals, including the owner's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                            Ugh, so much misinfo. And it really scares me, because a lot of people are running these stupid oils in E30s and ruining the motors.

10W-40 for cold weather (like less than 50F)
                            20W-50 for warm weather (above 50F)

This is as per all BMW manuals, including the owner's.
                            Thank you for clearing things up

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt View Post
                              15W40 Rotella here. :)
                              Absolutely. Keeping my motor clean since '06.
                              Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                              EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                              FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                              NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                              Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                              ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X