Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new bmw factory plug housings...what connectors go with what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I have just about everything figured out part number-wise. After getting the .5-1mm connectors and 1-2.5 connectors in from the dealer, it appears they have the same female plug connector opening, but the gauge of wire is different, respectively. I'm going to double check whats in my car later to see what gauge is used, then double down on what's needed. In the meantime here's the part list for anyone interested in doing the same in a late e30 325i.

coolant temp sensor plug housing (uses straight circular plugs listed below)

washer pump plug housing (uses 90* circular plugs listed below)
    61131378419 (yellow)

90 degree connector housing for rad sensor/ac fan switch

alternate 180 degree/straight connector housing for rad sensor/ac fan switch

90 degree circular connectors for this housing:
    61130007445 (small wire gauge .5-1mm) green
    61130007446 (large wire gauge 1-2.5mm) green

straight circular connectors for flat coolant sensor housing
    61130007441 (small wire gauge .5-1mm) green
    61130007442 (large wire gauge 1-2.5mm) green

I'll update the gauge that's in my car by default soon. If someone knows the appropriate numbers to change wire sheath colors, please share.
    Last edited by sandlock; 06-29-2011, 02:09 PM. Reason: p/n edit.
    ReverseOTL.
    NewParts4sale.
    PartsWanted.

Comment

holy spambots batman!

hey, anyone know which plug housing part # is for the diff speed sensor? it looks sort of like a headlight plug. There's a variety of these parts naturally.. I want to redo mine with fresh pins.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks nando! If you can post a picture for me i should be able to pick it out of my mental lineup. I finally got all my parts together for my connector cleanup a few weeks ago.

And for the update to the thread, just about every wire I've run into in the engine bay of my 89' has been the smaller gauge wire so that's what I ordered. That 90* connector housing (61131378412) is used in a ton of places, including late front foglights...i didn't know until recently because mine were always busted up, but when i got my last set of used fogs the connectors were in solid condition. Still no idea how to order wires of a certain color, but by default they come in green with about a 5" pigtail. On another odd note, the rubber shield that all the 180* connectors have (e.g., coolant level sensor) doesn't come with the new connectors by default. The originals don't seem to have p/n's on them. If someone can dig that number up I'd be grateful...I can of course reuse all my old ones, but really it would be for that neurotic 'cool to know' thing I have going on.
        ReverseOTL.
        NewParts4sale.
        PartsWanted.

Comment

the correct grey plug housing that is used for a bunch of connectors around the car (including the diff sensor one) is 61 13 1 378 418, not the yellow one you mentionned. as far as i've seen, there are three varieties:

61 13 1 378 417 white
          61 13 1 378 418 grey
          61 13 1 378 419 yellow

the difference is only in the shape of the male end which doesnt allow you to mix them up. the actual pins are the same. these are cheap from the dealer (about 1 dollar) and can easily replace old cracked ones. the pins with wires are the killer at 4-5$ each!

however, last month i tried to order some grey connectors from tischer and they said NLA!! not sure how much truth to that, but that would suck.
          90 E30 325i

Comment

61 13 1 378 418 is also listed for the E39, washer fluid tank connector.

realoem says NLA too..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's strange they haven't superseded it with something else, as that's pretty important. I have the yellow one (419) for my washer fluid connector and would like to see if that can be swapped in. the number for the yellow one I received came from the number off a used grey connector I bought off another member with broken tabs. I'd put $10 on the fact that either the white or yellow option will duplicate the male end. If i get a chance later this week I'll post pics.
              ReverseOTL.
              NewParts4sale.
              PartsWanted.

Comment

I bet 417 or 419 will work fine. I'd like to order one and find out.

there's a neat part that lets you crimp in a pigtail:

01 Cable connector 0.2-0.5 MM² 61138353746 $0.77
                01 Cable connector 1.0-0.75 MM² 61138353747 $0.77
                01 Cable connector 1.5-2.5 MM² 61138353748 $0.77

I was looking for this before after seeing it in a BMW electrical repair manual, happened to stumble on it while looking for the diff connector.

btw, if you're doing a lot of electrical work on your car, definitely buy this crimping tool:

worth every penny! works for the round 1.5/2.5mm pins, relay pins, and j-timer pins.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sweet.
                  ReverseOTL.
                  NewParts4sale.
                  PartsWanted.

Comment

417 and 419 will not work. euro elipsoids with city lights require all three different connectors. and they are not interchangeable so that you dont mix up the lights.

im sure you can grind down a yellow or white housing so that it fits, but that's not a very clean solution.

sandlock, how much did you pay for the 61130007445 pigtails?
                    90 E30 325i

Comment

i figured it might be keyed differently, but as long as it locks in place and the pins are clean, it's gotta be better than the original connector. the pins are so nasty it only makes contact about half the time. Very annoying.

unless the original connector comes apart, then I'd just repin it.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the connectors do come apart, but almost never without breaking up.

so annoying that they NLA'd that plug. looks like only the e30 uses it, i guess that's why.

ill check tonight to see which plug is keyed closest to the grey one. most of my original connectors have the locking tabs broken off, however they arent necessary at all. everything holds real well without the tabs.
                        90 E30 325i

Comment

E39 uses it too

there may be an E36 plug that will work, I came across a diagram that has about 5-6 different part #s. maybe even a straight plug with the same key, rather than a 90* plug.

I've also got a 2.5mm pin removal tool I made. I have an extra diff connector somewhere but I've misplaced it, of course..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yep, e39 too.

IIRC ~6.xx via blunttech.com, about 5 through tischerbmw/getbmwparts.com. it'll all come down to shipping.

BTW, 61131378418 shows up as $.94 cents on getbmwparts.com. I'd try them on for size.
                            Last edited by sandlock; 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM. Reason: edit.
                            ReverseOTL.
                            NewParts4sale.
                            PartsWanted.

Comment

e39 only uses it for one obscure thing.

straight plug is a good solution if you are replacing the pins anyway.

pin removal tool? not necessary for these connectors in anyway.
                              90 E30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by sandlock View Post
                                yea a lot of cars uIIRC ~6.xx via blunttech.com, about 5 through tischerbmw/getbmwparts.com. it'll all come down to shipping.

BTW, 61131378418 shows up as $.94 cents on getbmwparts.com. I'd try them on for size.

ill let you know since i ordered new yellows and whites for my smilies.
                                90 E30 325i

Comment

Working...
                                X