scabzzzz Glacierblau sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scabzzzz Glacierblau sedan

So its been a while since I've created one of these threads. Cruising around in the Members Rides section and seeing some OG's renewing their love for E30 again gave me a tingle in my pringle can, so why not create my own? I have, after all, sunk all of my time and money in this piece of shit. ;D

This all started by putting my M42 swapped late model 2002 for sale on Craigslist. It was a little rustier than I would have liked, which of course I didn't know until the drivetrain was out. Many hours and thousands of dollars later, I wanted out (I regret now).

The 2002 being loaded up. :sad:

I was offered a trade plus cash for this little Glacier blue sedan, and I sort of fell in love with it. I'd never had a sedan before after owning several E30's, and this one was a Nashville car its entire life. It just seemed right...

It was pretty rough though. I didnt know how rough until I dove in, but you get the idea. About 200k miles of being driven hard and hung up wet. The PO said that this car was originally sold to a BMW of Nashville tech, and it basically changed hands between the dealer techs for a long time as a daily and fun car. It was insanely stock for how used it was. The undercarriage looked spectacular too.

The agenda was:
    -Clean it up as best as possible
    -Get it mechanically sound and track the nuts out of it slash weekend CnC fun car
    -Keep it stock-ish and have fun
    -Dont dump all your money into it
    -Make it different than all your other E30s

That never happened.....

The tear down begins. And body work. LOTS of body work. I thought this car was pretty straight too... NOPE.

My buddy Alex banged this dent out with a rusty hatchet and a mallet. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Blunt would be proud. Couldnt resist drawing dicks all over it.

Then paint... I was lucky enough to slip into a real booth thanks to my awesome friend.

I was advised to get this stuff - it laid down extremely nice.

Paint turned out great. A few spots to fix, but all in all the Nason choice was the right choice.

Then the mechanical bug set in and the basics were ordered. I thought I was satisfied with a standard Bav Auto/Bilstein Sport drop and a few other odds and ends...

NOPE, NOT LOW ENOUGH. TOO SWIMMY. So the real fuckery began.

-Ground Control 550/650
    -Bilstein Sports
    -Subframe rebuild (everything, including axles)
    -Stainless Stoptech brake lines
    -UUC Strut tower bar
    -Front suspension rebuild - control arms, bushings, sway bar endlinks, tie rods + alignment

All the little bits and pieces that make it feel right.

-Mtech 2 steering wheel
    -ZHP knob
    -IS lip

Still wasn't enough. I saw nothing but flaws in the car after all this stuff started coming together. So of course...

-New Pioneer head unit, Pioneers 3-way speakers all around, and Pioneer ultra compact 8" subwoofer
    -sunroof gaskets
    -fuel door spring and rubber
    -antenna and body grommet
    -Hella H4 low and high beam headlights (new old stock)
    -ZKW fog light replacements
    -IS rear spoiler
    -Euro plate filler
    -Cloth euro sport seats (from a coupe)
    -Dash mat from Bav Auto (I passed on a crack free sedan dash for $80 too, FML)
    -rebuilt AFM
    -throttle cable
    -Euroweaves from my old 318is coupe (my last E30)
    -Color edition door cards from a touring (thanks dude)

.....And so much more. Its embarassing to see my parts list grow as I document this stuff. Which btw, don't document car builds. Ever. Or let your girlfriend/wife see said documentation. Anyways...

The Euroweaves just didn't feel as good. Gotta do something better. Hopefully I'll have enough time to finish these before Vintage!

Promptly ordered new 1.5" and 2" lips from Germany. Tunershop had these delivered to my door direct from Germany in under 48 hours from eBay. WTF!

...and finally how it sits today. Nice and tight, just how I like my men I mean cars.

And a bonus shot from an old Third Thursday E30 CCA meet also staring agent's super clean 325is early model coupe. Back when I had some RS kopis on. Yuck.

Bye!
    Last edited by scabzzzz; 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM.

pics not working
    My Feedback

Comment

Pics work for me and it looks great!

I do like that light blue color.

Comment

that blue is so underrated!

reminds me of my Cosmosblau e30. I prefer those colors over the sea of dolphin, grey, white, red and black e30's.
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Great turnaround!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

She looks fantabulous. I have a four door that I'm in the process of turning into my dream E30, and feel the inspiration hard with this one. I CANNOT wait until I get to body & paint.

Also hope to meet up with you Tennessee guys! I drove my E30 across all of Tennessee last summer and need to do it again, once this E30's done...

Sina

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Beautiful car, but it really needs a dent in the driver door to make the color pop
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

What a great turn around. Awesome work.

Comment

Probably in the minority here, but I think 4 doors are the prettiest e30's... perfect proportions. Love the color and wheel choice, looks great!
                  1991 325i 4 dr Euro Spec, 5 Speed, 4.10 LSD, Slicktop

Comment

I love sedans and the color. Looks really good.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                      Hopefully I'll have enough time to finish before Vintage!
                      Can't wait to see it at The Vintage despite if you finish the RMs or not. Great job bringing this one back to life. Car looks awesome!
                      1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                      1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                      September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                      Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

This car has come a long way in a short time, but it's being done right!
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                          that blue is so underrated!

reminds me of my Cosmosblau e30. I prefer those colors over the sea of dolphin, grey, white, red and black e30's.
                          Totally agree. Was the major factor for me to being able to pass this one up!

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          Great turnaround!

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                          She looks fantabulous. I have a four door that I'm in the process of turning into my dream E30, and feel the inspiration hard with this one. I CANNOT wait until I get to body & paint.

Also hope to meet up with you Tennessee guys! I drove my E30 across all of Tennessee last summer and need to do it again, once this E30's done...

Sina
                          Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          What a great turn around. Awesome work.
                          Originally posted by Sail Boat View Post
                          Probably in the minority here, but I think 4 doors are the prettiest e30's... perfect proportions. Love the color and wheel choice, looks great!
                          I hear ya! The same parts that work on a coupe dont necessarily work on a sedan so I'm finding. I feel like this car needs an M30 swap and 16's...
                          Originally posted by brokecollegekid View Post
                          I love sedans and the color. Looks really good.
                          Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                          Can't wait to see it at The Vintage despite if you finish the RMs or not. Great job bringing this one back to life. Car looks awesome!
                          Thanks mates. If and when you see me around Vintage, please introduce yourself!

Comment

I totally forgot an interior shot. Need some r3v help here. Bought these Mtech door cards in "blau" mtech. Not sure if they really match or not. My intentions are to recover these seats in black vinyl and blau mtech material, but I cant find any. :sad:

IMG_0062 by scabzzzz

Should I keep the door cards in, or swap to all black?

Btw, e60 all weather mats fit PERFECT. ;)

Comment

Incredible! Hope to see it at the Vintage.
                              Dean
                              Instagram
                              1987 325isA
                              1987 325i - 383k

Comment

Working...
                              X