No start only in cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start only in cold weather

I am currently having an issue where my car will not start during winter. I have a 85 325 with a m20 motor and i live in Utah. I've owned the car for 2 years and this happens every winter. During warmer months the car runs perfect. Anyone know why this only happens when its cold out?

A local mechanic also mentioned installing a ECT Mod ??

I recommend you install a new or refurbished Bosch brand starter, clean and or replace all poorly oxidized cables and connections and also replace the engine ground cable. In addition to that, replace the starter relay and clean all associated contacts. With this, you should not have starting issues for many decades to come.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I too been having staring problems and also it cuts off and dies very seldomly. So far I've changed crank position sensor(insulation was worn away exposing wire), main relay, and fuel pump relay (both looked to be original). Next I'm going to change the engine ground and the power wire from alternator to starter since what I bought was sold together. I noticed recently when I have starting problems the check engine light on the left side of dash doesn't light up when the key is in the on position or it lights up but goes away when cranking. When that happens I don't hear the fuel pump buzzing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
        I recommend you install a new or refurbished Bosch brand starter, clean and or replace all poorly oxidized cables and connections and also replace the engine ground cable. In addition to that, replace the starter relay and clean all associated contacts. With this, you should not have starting issues for many decades to come.
        Thank you!! I will try doing this

Comment

Originally posted by Fuggly Stick View Post
          I too been having staring problems and also it cuts off and dies very seldomly. So far I've changed crank position sensor(insulation was worn away exposing wire), main relay, and fuel pump relay (both looked to be original). Next I'm going to change the engine ground and the power wire from alternator to starter since what I bought was sold together. I noticed recently when I have starting problems the check engine light on the left side of dash doesn't light up when the key is in the on position or it lights up but goes away when cranking. When that happens I don't hear the fuel pump buzzing.
          Yes mine did the same for awhile. Very annoying.

Comment

Working...
          X