No announcement yet.

Engine making awful noise after I did some heavy maintenance. IDK what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine making awful noise after I did some heavy maintenance. IDK what to do

Just replaced the timing belt, water pump, IM gasket, All gaskets around throttle body, replaced the timing tensioner, fixed a vac leak or two, and now my car makes like a crunchy/rattle noise when the throttle is lightly tapped, as well upon startup.

Afraid to even move it out of the garage because it sounds so bad. When it's just idling, the engine seems fine, just when I give it throttle. Also, I gave it 30 percent throttle one time and it revved up and didn't stop. Had to turn off the engine. Seems like rattle coming from distributor area to below...

Heres the video link to youtube:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Thanks all

An engine can't continue to rev up unless it is being supplied with air. You still have a leak somewhere or your throttle body is sticking.

Since you moved the throttle body, check the 90 degree hard lines that connect the idle control valve, and brake booster.

Did you verify that timing is still correct when you replaced the timing belt?

Comment

If you adjusted the valves they need to be redone and +1 on checking the belt
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
        An engine can't continue to rev up unless it is being supplied with air. You still have a leak somewhere or your throttle body is sticking.

Since you moved the throttle body, check the 90 degree hard lines that connect the idle control valve, and brake booster.

Did you verify that timing is still correct when you replaced the timing belt?
        The engine doesnt rev up anymore, just makes a bad noise still. Yes i verified timing. Dont think the car would start if the timing was off. Maybe the valves are off?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          If you adjusted the valves they need to be redone and +1 on checking the belt
          I didn't touch the valves from before, is it possible to get them bad timing when rotating the engine manually?

Also would the valves only do that on such light throttle? or was that just a side observation that you notcied from the video, that is something unrelated that needs to be done? http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag.../icon_razz.gif

Comment

Originally posted by bSprague99 View Post
            I didn't touch the valves from before, is it possible to get them bad timing when rotating the engine manually?
            Nope.

If it were me and i had an aweful noise after changing th etiming belt, id have it all appart again to double check everything.

if you are out a tooth and your cam timing is wrong it can make the engine very sluggish and "not rev up" as you describe.

your ignition timing is also driven by the cam, so if you are out a tooth your ignition timing will be wrong, can also make it not rev up.

Comment

Originally posted by bSprague99 View Post
              The engine doesnt rev up anymore, just makes a bad noise still. Yes i verified timing. Dont think the car would start if the timing was off. Maybe the valves are off?

What makes you think that? Engines will run with completely messed up timing. It would still run if one tooth off on the timing belt.

Can you take off the accessory belt, you need to eliminate 1 by 1, your rotating assemblies.

Comment

I think its a fan or something hitting something else. fan, alt, something like that. check to make sure nothing is hitting a hose or something. I would say a shroud but you don't seem to have one

Comment

Working...
                X