Help With Camber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Camber

I took my car to be aligned and my passenger side camber is pretty far off from the driver's side by a full degree. I'm not sure why. All suspension parts are new - everything. The car is set up stock other than some Condor CABs. Here's what the alignment shop is showing:

My question is what is supposed to be the correct camber for a stock 325iX? -1 degree?
    Also, besides getting coilovers and camber plates, what are the means of adjusting camber? I see Turner has these:

Front Fixed Camber Plates - E24, E28, E30 - Turner Motorsport Street/Track

They increase negative camber by .75 degrees. Ireland Engineering has something similar that will increase camber by 1.25 degrees... Not sure which ones I should try.

I'm thinking of using just one on the driver’s side to at least get close to what the passenger side is doing... Or will I be burning through tires this way?

Any suggestions? Appreciate it!
    Last edited by EyExR; 02-12-2018, 06:12 PM.
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Maybe your chassis is slightly out of alignment. Wouldn't surprise me the shock towers on most e30s by now are slightly bent.

Those plates will increase camber both sides the same amount though. So your left and right will still be different?

$139 USD for those fixed camber plates, where as how much are adjustable camber plates? If you are gonna spend $139 you might as well spend a bit more and get the fully adjustable ones. then you can set it to whatever you like.

Alternatively i reckon i could make those fixed plates in my garage for super cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      Maybe your chassis is slightly out of alignment. Wouldn't surprise me the shock towers on most e30s by now are slightly bent.

Those plates will increase camber both sides the same amount though. So your left and right will still be different?

$139 USD for those fixed camber plates, where as how much are adjustable camber plates? If you are gonna spend $139 you might as well spend a bit more and get the fully adjustable ones. then you can set it to whatever you like.

Alternatively i reckon i could make those fixed plates in my garage for super cheap.
      I was only going to add it to one side.
      There are no Camber plates available for stock springs on an iX.
      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

ahh i see.

Well then for $139 give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
          I was only going to add it to one side.
          There are no Camber plates available for stock springs on an iX.
          The diameter of the stock spring is such that you can't move it around in the strut tower enough to affect camber in a material way.

Comment

I don't think those 'camber plates' will fit the ix. our strut mounts have a completely different bolt pattern. Those look like standard E30 parts, which they most likely are.

The only option that fits the ix other than ground control, are the factory offset mounts that are designed to decrease camber (you can't flip them due to the way the bolt pattern on the ix works).

I don't know if they are NLA or not - I had one ages ago that I modified to increase camber. I guess you could do the same thing I did (basically just move the studs over). and yes, you can change the camber a little bit with stock springs - not much though. about 1/2 of a degree. The first thing that will rub is actually the swaybar link.

I wouldn't do GC camber plates on a mostly stock ix anyway. They have zero 'give' since it's just a solid bearing, they are pretty harsh.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              I don't think those 'camber plates' will fit the ix. our strut mounts have a completely different bolt pattern. Those look like standard E30 parts, which they most likely are.

The only option that fits the ix other than ground control, are the factory offset mounts that are designed to decrease camber (you can't flip them due to the way the bolt pattern on the ix works).

I don't know if they are NLA or not - I had one ages ago that I modified to increase camber. I guess you could do the same thing I did (basically just move the studs over). and yes, you can change the camber a little bit with stock springs - not much though. about 1/2 of a degree. The first thing that will rub is actually the swaybar link.

I wouldn't do GC camber plates on a mostly stock ix anyway. They have zero 'give' since it's just a solid bearing, they are pretty harsh.
              Oh, wow. Ok. I didn't know the bolt pattern is different as well. Both IE and Turner market them for the iX on their list, but maybe they just don't know about the difference... I'll reach out to them and ask.

I also didn't know BMW made offset mounts for the iX! How did you move the studs over? Do you still have it?

I'm thinking I'm just going to get another iX strut mount and try re-drilling holes to make it offset. I'm just not sure how to measure that out to get the correct change. I don't want it to rub but I want to try to bring it back to spec as best as possible.
              Last edited by EyExR; 02-13-2018, 02:00 PM.
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Basically remove the old studs (can't remember if they're pressed in or not), flip the mounts around 180 degrees, and drill new holes for whatever camber you want, and put studs back in.

I honestly don't remember. I think i do, somewhere.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You did this to an already offset shock mount? Or a stock 325iX one?

If you still have it, would you care to sell it?
                  My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

I think it worked on either, but IIRC it was an offset mount.

I used mine to increase camber though - might be a bit extreme on your FR. But, I could entertain selling it (if I still have them).
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think it worked on either, but IIRC it was an offset mount.

I used mine to increase camber though - might be a bit extreme on your FR. But, I could entertain selling it (if I still have them).
                      Well, I only need them to match. If I increase positive camber to the Front passenger side that will bring them closer. No? In other words just put your offset mount on the passenger side...
                      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

yeah that would work. You might end up at -2.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah that would work. You might end up at -2.
                          It's better than nothing. Let me know if you come across it and are willing to part with it. Thanks man!
                          Last edited by EyExR; 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM.
                          My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

If you found a way to move the struts 1/2 degree, you could move the right side out and the left side in and end up with both sides at -1.9, which will give you pretty good front end bite in a turn.

Comment

That would be great. I thought of just slotting the strut towers a bit but I really don’t want to do that.
                              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Working...
                              X