1992 Vert repost from Vert Subforum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Vert repost from Vert Subforum

Hey guys, wanted to post my vert here. Seems like theres more going on and more car sharing here than in the Vert Sub Forum lol. Bought my car last year on 3/11. I updated my progress since then and will copy and paste all progress on to this sub-forum to share and see what you guys think/ideas, things I need to get too or should look out for.

With that being said here it goes. These pictures show how it was when I got it. Also I have an instagram account for the vert if you guys want to follow. It is @dirtee30vert.

This is when I first brought it home. Next I took it to a car wash where I used the power washer and car wash brush to get rid of all the dust on the car.

Some background on the car. It was bought by a shop I used to work at to be flipped but the owner really liked the car and kept it in his storage. Fast forward 5 years to today and he is selling his vehicles to move to Florida and remembered how I admired the car. I currently drive a 94 325is that I take to him for repairs when it needs it or I can't handle it (I don't own a lift or time consuming jobs I pay them to do since I rely on the car.) knowing that I take good care of my car he asked me about the possibility of me purchasing it. I took advantage of the winter months saved up and today I picked it up. Put a battery in it and it started right up. I added 92 fuel with some injector cleaner just to burn off what ever little gas it had sitting in it. Also to my surprise the tittle shows I will be the second owner of the car which is pretty awesome to me.

After the car wash I snapped a few pictures of the interior before digging into it.

And then I scrubbed...

As you can see it was pretty dirty. I wanted to snap more photos but it started getting dark and colder. I scrubbed all the panels inside tomorrow I will scrub seats and dash.

Here's a photos of both my cars. X5 is the neighbors.

Paint looks ok but nothing a good buff won't fix. Body is very very straight and no rust. I'm happy to say dash is also crack free! Rear window needs to be replaced. Power top is crippled. One of the gear casing for the top motor broke. The motor is good however trying to piece just the gear casing is becoming impossible. The motor for the latch however works well.

I noticed it leaks a bit of oil and has a slight misfire. Tune up will definitely be very soon and will have to investigate the oil leak. It's wet at the bottom of the motor but no leaks from the top so that should help to figure it out.

Well that's it for my introduction. Tomorrow I'll work on the car a bit more and soon I'll have it on the road. The little bit I've driven it has been awesome. Car drives like new. Very smooth.

Hope to hear from you guys with tips and your thoughts!

Then the next day...............

Well today was fun! Cold sucked however. I decided to be productive and buff, polish and wax the car and I'm very happy that I did.

This was my progress today. In some of the pictures you'll notice where it is dull compared to where I have touched it with a buffer. I tried to be thorough but the cold was not agreeing with my finger tips. Nonetheless I feel like I brought the exterior back to life and feel accomplished. Next to tackle will be the interior. Since the weather isn't great it gives me time to work on it and drive it when it's nice out.

And then throughout the rest of the summer

So today I got to work on the car a bit more. Mailman brought in the gears to fix my odometer.

This is how it started. I had a few bulbs to replace since the cluster was not lighting up, my fog light bulb was out on the cluster as well. Since I had the cluster out it also made it easy to reach the light switch bulb and replace that as well. I used the sharpie trick on the needles to let dry then I began to take the cluster apart.

You can see the small pieces that would belong to the gears.

Then fun didn't stop there

So today I installed the zip in window. Wasn't too bad did it alone and took me about 30 mins.

Gave it a wash as well and tried to clean the wheels as best as possible. Couldn't resist taking it for a ride. I really like that I can see out my back window now.

Then the IS lip came in

1992 325i Convertible - "project"
    1994 325is - Daily

I kept doing subtle things to make it better.

Then I installed smoked turn signal lens with LED bulbs and the smileys from ECS Tuning.

Side note, if you guys want to install LED bulbs for your turn signals you can buy a turn signal relay from superbright LEDs that’s plug and play so you do not have to add resistors to your turn signal wiring.

I found the cluster to be a bit dull even with the red needles so I searched online and saw that there are people who paint the bezel of the cluster. I painted mine satin black to blend it with the rest of the dash and added cluster rings. Here are the photos

You can see on that last photo how much better the cluster looks.

New Kenwood head unit went in too. No CD player since I don’t need it but has Bluetooth. Color match is also great since you can do it to a custom color. Made it able to be spot on.

And then lastly I did the oil pan gasket. With lots of cursing

As I slowly progress I’ll try to keep everything updated but this is it guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Nice job! Keep up the good work. :up:

COTM

Comment

Looks good! Love what you've done with the cluster
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
          Nice job! Keep up the good work. :up:
          Thank you! I remember you commenting on my other post thanks to your Sig haha
          1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            Looks good! Love what you've done with the cluster
            Thank you!
            1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Car

Beautiful car.......great job

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping today I have the chance to look at the radio and wire everything correctly. I wired it to work but if it goes past "25" volume on the radio the rear amp can't handle it. so I'll have to bypass the rear amp. Luckily there is a great write up in the sound sub-forum and covers all of this. Also will have to tackle the miss fire. I've done a complete tune up so I'm assuming this is due to a vacuum leak. Also wanted to replace the injectors with M50 ones so maybe I'll just replace all the hoses under the intake at that point.

What are some weird experiences you guys have had with miss fires?
                1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Love the progress! We've got matching cars! Love what you did with the bezel too!

Comment

The satin black on the bezel looks great! I'm wishing I had done that when i did mine.
                    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by A_seth View Post
                      Love the progress! We've got matching cars! Love what you did with the bezel too!
                      Thanks! Just saw your thread, it's going to be interesting to see how both our cars progress haha
                      1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
                        The satin black on the bezel looks great! I'm wishing I had done that when i did mine.
                        Thank you! It took me 30 mins you and a small amount of paint. You should do it!! lol You'll be really satisfied when you get in it
                        1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Coming together nicely
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Wish mine cleaned up that well!!!!

But yeah the vert sub forum isn't really for showing off your vert, it's more of a technical and talking about the vert in general.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Clean
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X