Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a great injector cleaning DIY!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW IT!

I'm gonna do this to my 19 lbers this in a few weeks!

Fuel Injector Cleaning

By Dusty Sharp

My fuel injection system sat around for about 4 years before I finally got around to installing and cranking it up. Needless to say, the injectors were gummed up something fierce! Here’s what I did to get mine clean.

Injector Parts / Tools (avalible from Mr. Injector):
    • 16 O-Rings
    • 8 Spacers
    • 8 Pintle Caps
    • 8 Filters
    • #10 Machine Screw

Use the #10 machine screw to remove the internal filter from the injectors.

First, put together a simple injector test circuit with some aligator clips, wire, a momentary toggle switch and a spare injector harness plug (I got the injector plug at my local Carquest for a couple bucks, or you can pocket one for free at the boneyard). Put each injector in the makeshift harness and check it with the switch. You’ll hear it click when you throw the switch unless its gummed up too bad. Even if they do click, they could probably still use a cleaning.

Next, get some fuel injector cleaner from the parts store. I like the Chemtool brand stuff in the white can with red and blue label. You’re supposed to dilute this stuff in a tank of gas but for this purpose I used it full strength. Put the injectors in a bucket and pour in the cleaner until it covers them. Remove the o-rings first or they’ll swell up like donuts and crumble off (you can buy injector o-ring kits at the parts store pretty cheap if you accidentally soak the o-rings too–BTDT). Let the injectors soak over night.

The next morning the fluid will be full of gunk and slime from inside your injectors. As you take each injector out of the cleaner, place it into the test wire harness, place a compressed air nozzle at the spray end (backwards) and throw the switch while you give it a blast of air. Point it away from you because more gunk and slime will spew out. If you don’t have compressed air, you can blow into the end of the injector, but use short piece of clean fuel or vacuum hose between your lips and the injector to avoid getting any of that nasty cleaner in your mouth. Repeat this procedure with each injector, rinse once more in clean cleaner, then dry them off and reinstall the o-rings.

First, put together a simple injector test circuit with some alligator clips, wire, a momentary toggle switch, and a spare injector harness plug (you can buy one new for a couple dollars or from a junkyard harness). Put each injector in the makeshift harness and check it with the switch. You’ll here it click when you throw the switch unless its gummed up too bad. Even if they do click, they could probably still use a cleaning. Next, get a bottle of professional injector cleaner from the parts store meant for the cleaning machines. Remove all the O-rings from the injectors are place them in a bucket. Pour the cleaner in until they are all covered and let them soak over night. The next morning the fluid will be full of gunk and slime from inside your injectors. As you take each injector out of the cleaner, place it into the test wire harness, place a compressed air nozzle at the spray end (backwards) and throw the switch while you give it a blast of air. Point it away from you because more gunk and slime will spew out. Do this with each one, rinse once more in clean cleaner, then dry off and reinstall the o-rings.

After I did this my motor ran great and has ever since. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by silversleeper; 03-15-2007, 11:53 AM.
    Claus Luthe is my hero.

I guess no one here is really interested in cleaning their injectors?
    Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Very nice find to bad I just sent a set off to www.witchhunters.com guess I will be doing my next set by myself thou.

I just got a set of Volvo 740 turbo injectors.

Comment

Subscribed - gonna pop out my 19#'s and do this :)
        Originally posted by alpinaclone
        Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

nice
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I've been using this technique for a long time. It works fine.

Comment

Wow...a DIY on injector cleaning.

Never saw that before, thanks for posting!

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing such awesome technique.
                This my spam training account. Do not send e-mails to this address.
                spam.7xmo_fszol@hlmtechnologies.com
                Thanks. :p

Comment

adding this to my list of things to do ... word

Comment

Thanks! I just sent my injectors to get rebuilt and flow tested heh
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Yea, can someone confirm that "flow testing" is nothing more than a chem class graduated cylinder,a stead 12v power supply, and a stop watch?
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        Yea, can someone confirm that "flow testing" is nothing more than a chem class graduated cylinder,a stead 12v power supply, and a stop watch?
                        True. I have seen several testing machines and this is all they do to test them. They fire all 6 at a time into multiple cylinders so it doesn't matter the length of time they are on, they should all fill at the same rate.
                        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                        '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                        '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                        iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                          yeah the machine I used to flow test was just that.
                          Anything can be done

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan View Post
                            True. I have seen several testing machines and this is all they do to test them. They fire all 6 at a time into multiple cylinders so it doesn't matter the length of time they are on, they should all fill at the same rate.
                            that sounds easy. i think i'm gonna have to make one of these "machines".

now let's say i put this together. how would i be able to control the injectors? (ie, 50% duty)

is it just varying the voltage?
                            Last edited by blueapplesoda; 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                              that sounds easy. i think i'm gonna have to make one of these "machines".

now let's say i put this together. how would i be able to control the injectors? (ie, 50% duty)

is it just varying the voltage?
                              If you wanted to get high tech you could hook it up to an old megasquirt and laptop or maybe a jimstim

Comment

Working...
                              X