Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 1986/Early 1987 Automatic 325e Driveshaft

Apparently no guibo came on these.

Are these equipped with a replaceable CSB?

I'm trying to eliminate a rapid clacking noise that has returned.

Yes, the CSB is a wear item. And you should also replace the guibo, they do have them. Some eta's have a vibration dampener as well.
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

But you really don't need the vibration dampener, many ditch them when replacing the guibo.
      Estoguy
      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
        Yes, the CSB is a wear item. And you should also replace the guibo, they do have them. Some eta's have a vibration dampener as well.
        No guibo on mine; it's an early 1987 model ETA automatic with the anomaly of not having a guibo, from the factory.

Comment

Late 1986/Early 1987 Automatic 325e Driveshaft

Pics or it didn't happen.

I have a 87 eta that was manufactured in late 86 as an auto and it had a guibo. Now it's a 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by itsonlygeorge; 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM.
          sigpic
          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

think the no guibo ds's were used on auto eta's up to about 10/86 build date. no wierd looking substiture, in place of the quibo is a u-joint. they use a 4 bolt flange and are not interchangeable with other ds's unless output flange on tranny is swapped too.

my 7/86 build eta auto has this config.

Comment

More confirmation...I have two ETA's build date 5/86 and 4/87 both are automatics and no guibo.

Comment

I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would update.I just had to replace the driveshaft in one of my two cars that both use the no guibo driveshaft .A replacement driveshaft was found using a guibo but when I examined the flange on the transmission I discovered you can not just replace the flange itself apparently you need to replace the entire tail shaft or buy another transmission ,there is very little information for owners of automatic cars so someone may find this information useful since the three universal driveshafts are harder to locate.

Comment

I had an 84 eta auto with no guibo as well.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I wonder if my two auto etas have guibos? I know the standards do, they are apart currently and I verified those. I never looked at the autos though.... hmmm

Comment

Recently I tried replacing my CSB and have also noticed the lack of a guibo. Have you guys tried replacing the CSB on a driveshaft like this? Any tips or info on removing the trans side of the driveshaft? It’s a small space and unlike the more common driveshafts where the bolts are facing the rear. My car is an ‘86 325e auto

Comment

I had to do this job 4 times recently,due to a lousy expensive driveshaft rebuild by professionals ,that did not work.All I had to do each time was remove the small single rubber rear doughnut hanger and remove the three bolts holding the front ex section from the rear ,carefully let it tilt downwards ,the driveshaft comes out best towards the passenger side.the center bearing is very easy to replace ,just make sure you mark the two driveshaft halves before you attempt to remove it or you may end up going through what I had to .

Comment

Working...
                        X