Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad vibration at certain speeds. Guibo? Bearing? Any short cuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad vibration at certain speeds. Guibo? Bearing? Any short cuts?

The car is fine in 1st gear. But, acceleration in second can be awful. The car can vibrate like crazy. I simply back off the throttle and accelerate slowly until I pass the vibration range. It is certainly in the drive shaft or rear end. My guibo does have cracks.
    What scares the hell out of me is all the rust under my car. No bolts on the exhaust will simply spin off. I am most worried about the pipe to manifold bolts up front. Can I simply unbolt the muffler from the front pipe? Or does the whole front pipe have to come out? The car is an 87 325is. It is my winter car and sees LOTS of salt.

Originally posted by clydesdale View Post
    Can I simply unbolt the muffler from the front pipe? Or does the whole front pipe have to come out?
    On my 85, remove the rear muffler and heat shield, support the rear of the transmission, remove the transmission cross member and lower the rear of the transmission an inch or so. That should give you enough clearance to get the driveshaft out.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

I would say its the guibo, also

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
        On my 85, remove the rear muffler and heat shield, support the rear of the transmission, remove the transmission cross member and lower the rear of the transmission an inch or so. That should give you enough clearance to get the driveshaft out.
        This is good information .I would just add that I had to do this job 4 times recently on my 87 Es which does have a different exhaust system on it than the IS,I did not have to actually remove the rear Catback all I did was remove the three bolts holding the two parts of the exhaust system together and slip off the small rubber muffler hanger ,the rear section of exhaust was then able to tilt Down giving me access to the driveshaft.I have the stock ETA Catback.

Comment

Working...
        X