Clutch engagement completely changed halfway through my drive home today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch engagement completely changed halfway through my drive home today

My e30 clutch traditionally would engage absurdly high up. Like you press down on the pedal maybe 1-2 inches and you're good. Recently I've beeen noticing that it's really difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd, but none of the other gears. So i was thinking synchros. It would be fine once warm so I just live with it. I have also changed and been checking my trans fluid so it's topped off.

When I say hard to shift into 1st/2nd, it legit would not go into the gate. It would behave as if I didn't press on the clutch at all (i tested things out). When at a standstill, I would clutch in, try to shift to first, but when at the point where it wouldn't go, with a gentle gentle push, still not engaging... I would feel the car sort of rock forward as if it wanted to go into gear but didnt but the push I did almost maybe forced it but didnt. Same thing if doing second. And this is exactly what happens if i do it when the clutch IS working but don't press the clutch (thats the testing I did) But it would end up being fine if i did a combination of turning the car off and going into.out of the gears then turning car on and repeating until it went it smoothly (relatively).

So up until today iwas really htinking it could be the trans, not the clutch b.c only 1 and 2 are affected.

Today on the drive home everything was gravy, minus the initially cold rough shifts between 1 and 2, but as I'm leaving the freeway the exit ramp light was green so I gunned it into the turn then downshifting from 3 to 2, going into 2 at maybe 4k rpms.....

After that shift everything was different. It is kind of funny how different it is. Now, the clutch will engage at the very bottom of the pedal travel (completely opposite than earlier in the drive). And this is in every single gear.

1st gear is the goofball. Previously I would no joke, push the pedal down 1 inch and move into first. NOW, i need to press the pedal entirely down but then also give it gas before I even move my clutch pedal back up at all. If i don't it stalls.

I was going to just limp it through winter with the difficult shifting I thoughtw as the synchros but now Idk if it will make it.

Wonder if the clutch is failing and unreleated to my 1st/2nd gear difficulties.

Don't really want to throw a clutch in there if I'm going to have to replace my entire tranny. Honestly I would probably just swap an m5X engine in instead at that point. No idea tho. I do enjoy the m20.

Thoughts regarding my obnoxious wall of text?

Have a picture for good measure and that nifty paperclip icon next to my thread

Sounds like either the clutch master or slave cylinder is going out. Any leaks under the car or on the driver side footwell?

Comment

I put my car up on the lift this past Friday. No visual leaks at either cylinder. Bled the clutch and the fluid was pretty gnarly. It helped a bit but quickly returned and ended up worse. After work on Friday I decided to order 2 new cylinders as well as a LUK clutch kit. $200 shipped.

And on the way home about a block from my house the clutch completely failed and I rolled it home down the hill. Pretty funny that happened almost once I ordered parts. Probably won’t get to do this until 2 Saturday’s from now. Guess I’ll be driving the coupe :)

Also going to pick up some shifter bushings.

Comment

I would swap the cylinders before pulling the clutch since I agree with Andrew that it sounds like a hydraulic issue. A bad internal seal won't show a leak and they are capable of changing their behavior as they deteriorate.

A couple diagnostic hours verses a day of major surgery. Your call
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          I would swap the cylinders before pulling the clutch since I agree with Andrew that it sounds like a hydraulic issue. A bad internal seal won't show a leak and they are capable of changing their behavior as they deteriorate.

A couple diagnostic hours verses a day of major surgery. Your call
          Good points, I appreciate the input. I'm most likely going to go ahead and replace the clutch simply because I would like the experience. I have not split a trans/engine before and it's about time I learn.

Comment

Alright boys, so I found out what the problem was....

The clutch hydraulics were fine (but I replaced them anyway because it was under 40 bucks for both).

The clutch was probably fine as well.... but I replace it since I had it apart and who knows how much longer it will be good. Oh, also found out PO (one of the 8 sheesh my car is a whore) installed a single mass flywheel :\

The pilot bearing.......the pilot bearing was fooked. The only part of the pilot bearing still where it should (end of crank/flywheel) was the freaking outer race. All but two of the ball bearings were completely gone. When I split the trans from the engine, there were 2 ball bearings just chilling in the bell housing. I had prevsiouly told friends it sounded like marbles in the bell housing.....yikes I was basically correct.

The inner race just fell unceremoniously onto the floor when I split the trans/engine. Good times.

All is working now. And yeah, I was taking my time but damn, ended up being about 12 hours or so for the whole job.

This included searching endlessly for an appropriate pilot bearing slide hammer (which I ended up finding).

tow to the shop:

this was all that was left of the pilot bearing xD

Bits that fell out on their own when I opened it up compared to the new. yikes:

the pilot bearing puller without which I would have had a long long night

oh....I got the wrong style shift linkage bushings so didn't get to rebuild that....and me dicking around with it not bolted in looses the old ones up enough that the shifter slightly contacts the driveshaft in 1st and 3rd. But if you shift with purpose it doesn't contact. Only when it's just barely engaged. Will have to get on that :)

but yeah, car is back up and running. Woo

Comment

The trick to removing a pilot bearing, which may not work well with a blown bearing, is to pack behind it with grease then take a drift which just fits in the inner race and give it a good whack.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                The trick to removing a pilot bearing, which may not work well with a blown bearing, is to pack behind it with grease then take a drift which just fits in the inner race and give it a good whack.
                yeah. I watched a bunch of youtube videos and read several forum posts before deciding not to mess with that route ;)

Comment

If it's shredded like that, only the puller
                  or a drill and chisel will get it out.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                  X