No announcement yet.

I have an E 30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a deeper look at the Emerson brothers' journey. It's the last of the attention I'll give it in this E 30 thread, but something about their story appeals to me. Chasing one's dreams, and all that. Quixotic, in their case. For me, I'm just dicking around with tired old cars. So are you.

'91 325i

Comment

My dream is to have a vintage racer... How awesome is it with the Alfa on a nice day? I imagine it really sucks when it rains but that wont be my problem down here haha
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Since you asked, yes, it is quite awesome to race a vintage Alfa on a nice day. Especially when you've built most of the car yourself, and put it to good use by winning an occasional race. Haven't I posted the link up already?

Since you brought this up, stand by for a gratuitous Alfa racing pic from the two summers ago when I won a cup race at Road America in Wisconsin (that older guy on stage right is the famous Porsche racer Vic Elford about to present me with a trophy bottle of wine):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	7198502

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	7198503

But this is a thread about my E 30. My latest project was to paint the strut bar white to match the engine's valve cover. Along the way is a demonstration of tools. I used to join the anti tool snob bandwagon, and buy equivalent HF and various Taiwanese equivalents for cheap. Patted myself on the back for my frugality and practicality. Bragged about it to my wife, thinking she might find it attractive, and later bedded her in the night on the premise of my excellence in modern husbandry. You know, fixing shit around the house and such.

So! Here I am using a perfectly good GearWrench ratcheting combination wrench to install the brace:

Name:	IMG_4360.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7198504

Then I drank the Kool-Aid, and got a taste of Snap-on. They are unreasonably expensive. But if you use hand tools regularly (and it seems I do), then it's possible to justify the expense to own heirloom quality tools. Though it won't make you a better mechanic, you might enjoy the process a little more. Hard to explain to the wife, so I don't.

So here I am doing the exact same thing, with an equivalent wrench that inexplicably costs 10X more:

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	7198505

And here's the final product. Thanks, Rustoleum! Thanks, Snap-on!

Name:	IMG_4365.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	7198506
        '91 325i

Comment

This is a great thread! I really enjoy reading your posts.

I hear you on the tools. Most of my stuff is cheap/mid-grade. About 10 years ago I went on a Snap-on/ebay spree. I won a bunch of auctions for some quality tools that were pennies on the dollar. Even scored a very nice Snap-on torque wrench that came with recent re-calibration paperwork. It's definitely quality you can feel.

Comment

I have always been a Craftsmen guy because of the lifetime warranty and it gave me that sort of “Super Hero DIY Guy” feeling. Not sure how I’ll be able to replace my lifetime warranty tools when Sears is a long lost memory though
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Great read, lots to bookmark for future reference. Is that your red '40 in the background in some pictures?

Ive got a 77 I have restored (well still a project).

Comment

Originally posted by Advrider639 View Post
                Great read, lots to bookmark for future reference. Is that your red '40 in the background in some pictures?

Ive got a 77 I have restored (well still a project).

Thanks, and you are correct, that is my '76 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser back there. I have a thread on IH8MUD:

Hi. I've always liked these old Land Cruisers. Almost got one in '98 when I lived in Phoenix. Probably should have, they were cheaper then and less rusty there. Anyway, life got in the way, interests changed, blah blah blah. Then I stumbled into that Youtube show Dirt Every Day which has a...

I'm happy to post up pics of it, but this an E30 thread, apparently with a smattering of Alfa. So I'll try to tie everything together in a few pictures:

Here's the rig right when I got it home. I drove the E30 out to see the truck before buying it. It was kind of an impulse purchase. Truck was very crunchy when I got it (still is):

Name:	IMG_6050.jpg
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	7198509

And here it is pulling its weight, so to speak (more like half its weight), by winching the Alfa up a wet lawn it couldn't climb on its own (tall 1st gear, semi-slick race tires):

Name:	IMG_6377.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	7198510

Got tired of how ugly it was, so I masked it to paint with rattle cans. It was winter, I don't have garage space at home, so I planned to shoot the paint in an empty parking garage at night.

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	7198511

Looks surprisingly good! Still need to shoot around the windshield frame and grill, and some other spots. There's the E30 in the back, nodding in approval:

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	7198512

So there, that's some of the story of the FJ40. Go see the build thread for it mentioned above if you want to see more.
                '91 325i

Comment

I read your FJ40 build thread. Nice. When do you plan to update it?
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Im making my way through your Duetto build. Its amazing. You're my hero.

Edit: You've changed my life, and Ive changed my signature. I hope you dont mind
                    Last edited by 2mAn; 12-17-2018, 10:40 PM.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Im making my way through your Duetto build. Its amazing. You're my hero.

Edit: You've changed my life, and Ive changed my signature. I hope you dont mind
                      Thanks. I'm glad you like the thread.

Didja get to the part where I fabricated my own titanium steering arms? It was fun building the car, but I've kinda run out of things to do with it. Except race it.

As for the signature, it works better when you have 2 of the same year, make and model of car, with one being street, the other race.
                      '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        I read your FJ40 build thread. Nice. When do you plan to update it?
                        I keep thinking I'll tackle the rust repair in the summer, but I keep getting sidetracked with other projects. I even have the replacement rear quarters sheet metal waiting in my basement. Otherwise, the truck is mechanically sound; dry engine, fresh suspension, and everything on in works, down to the last dash bulb and courtesy light.
                        '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
                          Thanks. I'm glad you like the thread.

Didja get to the part where I fabricated my own titanium steering arms? It was fun building the car, but I've kinda run out of things to do with it. Except race it.

As for the signature, it works better when you have 2 of the same year, make and model of car, with one being street, the other race.
                          Havent gotten there. You are currently celebrating your oil filter location with a glass of wine sans metal shavings...

I thought about getting a second E30 when I had the aluminum monster, but two E30s in reality isnt as cool as it may seem. Two Roadsters perhaps, but I dont have the funds or space to have so many cars... so for now its these two that will have to do.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Got the short block back from the machine shop. I'm impressed with the quick turnaround. They said the engine went together really well; everything fit as it should. Kinda wished I did the assembly myself, but I need to pick my battles. Especially around the holidays. Can't have major engine parts in the living room competing with the Christmas tree for space...

Wish the ARP main studs were a little longer. Ideally, I'd like to see two threads protruding beyond the nuts, but at least there's full engagement. Those machine washers under the nuts are pretty thick, I might get thinner washers to satisfy myself.

Name:	IMG_4426.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	7198579

Name:	IMG_4432.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	7198580
                            '91 325i

Comment

<~~Jealous
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Fairly certain I saw your car in the Factoria Wal-Mart parking lot a few weeks back.

Comment

Working...
                                X